Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Body Filler and Application Techniques

I have just started work on my 964 track car. I have welded the sunroof panel in place and ground back as required, thread below:-

Project 964 Trackcar

Could someone recommend a high quality filler, I am looking for something that is relatively easy to apply and sand?

Are there any threads detailing application technique, correct tools, etc. Is it best to apply directly to the metal surface, or should this be primed? I have some experience of applying filler, but would like to get this right!!

Your help would be much appreciated.

Andy

Last edited by 964uk; 10-25-2009 at 02:48 PM..
Old 10-25-2009, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would recommend Glasurit.

Glasurit – 839-20 Multi-Purpose Body Filler

I have used their filler before on an old Datsun project and it is a super smooth texture. Look around for a Glasurit dealer and try it.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I will keep my eye out for a Glasurit supplier in the UK.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Andy

I'm an Ever Coat man. I've been very impressed with their products to date.

With a weld like your sunroof delete i like to lay down a fiberglass impregnated filler (All Metal) I've seen some restorers utilize JB weld. (Epoxy resin) just to make sure you fill any pin holes.

Sand that back, or grind if you went the JB weld route and then apply a light weight filler. I really like the consistency and sand ability of Rage Extreme.

Now with regard to applying filler to bare metal or not, it has received some great debate. Check out the test that these guys did:

Epoxy or No Epoxy Under Filler - Autobodystore

Me, i'm down right scared of rust. So i do the following, only my opinion and i'm no expert.

1. All metal over my welds.

2. Epoxy prime

3. Rage Extreme

4. Epoxy prime

Check out Freddie's post on application, of both Bondo and Epoxy primer :

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/381243-links-freddie-hernandez-101-series.html

The guy is a pro.

My thoughts are that the filler has moisture in it and i don't want moister (water) on bare metal, and absolutely no moisture on my welds.

I hope that helps

Nice welds by the way, must have been hard not warping that roof.

Last edited by Classic; 10-27-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Classic - Thanks for information, interesting article on epoxy or not.

The welding was done by a friend, he is a very good welder/ fabricator. Small amount of distortion on the roof, this will be dolly'd prior to filling. He used a low current and plenty of wire feed, no pin holes were revealed following grinding back.

Any fibreglass impregnated filler you would recommend?

Thanks again,

Andy
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I like to use Evercoat "all glass" or "Metal to Metal" topped with "Extreme".

I use the smallest amount, just to make sure i don't get any moisture behind my welds.

The metal to metal is aluminium filled and is the closest to lead without all the problems of lead.

Tony
Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: