Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Suspension pan replacement cost?

My suspension pan is rusting around the passenger side torsion bar. I know to replace it, I would have to remove the front suspension, and drill out the welds on the suspension pan. My question is, how much should it cost to have this done, and have a new pan welded in? My welding skills are limited to stick, and I don't have a lift, so this is something I will have to bring to a shop to have done. I don't know what this should cost (besides the cost of the pan which I can buy online), and I will have to drive a couple hours to get price quotes. Has anyone had this done before? Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

no personal experince but i hear about $1800.
that's why i did it myself.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello,

Sourcing sheet metal is the easiest part of any project like this. It is the process of removing the old piece that is time consuming and messy. Make sure to consult the shop providing you the quote on their method of choice, and supplier of replacement panels. Good Luck with your project,

Nate Williams
Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I picked up the sheet metal, and had my paint guy do it while he was painting the car. He only charged me an additional $200
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Great, and if I can't find anyone local..Tennessee is not that far, maybe your guy will give me a deal (I need a paint job too)
Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That's a bargain!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

$200 extra was a stonkin' bargain. I have done this job and factoring in for the speed of a professional (and the fact that a lot of disassembly was already covered off in the paint prep), I still can't see how your guy made money. He was either:

a) Extremely generous
b) Totally underestimated the work but stuck to his estimate like a gentleman
c) Is from another planet with mad skills

(Please don't misunderstand me - I am in no way questioning the validity of your claim - just offering up my view that it really was a very special deal!)

At the very minimum you will need the suspension pan, fuel tank support, 2 LCA reinforcements and a new fuel tank seal. Of course there will be paint materials too. Naturally there are many options for while-your-in-there craziness. Depending on how far the rust spread, you may also need (pieces of) the side longitudinals.

I would ask whoever does the work what they plan to do to protect the void between the fuel tank support and suspension pan - too many of these jobs end up rusting out again...
Old 11-06-2009, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I paid a body shop to do one when I had a 912 in the late 80's. Shop owned by a friend. I pulled the suspension at home, he sent a tow truck to p/u and later deliver. He only charged me $165 for labor........I know, brother-in-law price and 20 years ago, but I was very happy........
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

just found mine rusted out on drivers side. parts alone not so bad hope to do it myself so I will do a search for suspension pan replacement. I hope to keep cost under $300
Cabriolet Racing And Performance C.R.A.P. Gruppe #1
Put on some C.R.A.P. and drive....
Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Well it's not going to happen for under $300.00 ordered parts and already at $350.00 may need to order some more. The front corners are rusted out also but I don't want to buy the entire pieces just for the corner so I think I can cut out the rust and patch those areas just like any other hole repair. One more good use for old computer cases. The metal is just about the right thickness.
So far computer cases are good as slider plates for scales and one made a dandy block off plate for heater removal. I sure am glad I found this now rather than have something happen at the track.
Cabriolet Racing And Performance C.R.A.P. Gruppe #1
Put on some C.R.A.P. and drive....
Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: