Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Floorpan replacement

When drilling out spot welds what do your suggest for instances where too much material has been removed from the good piece? Should i cut it out and replace with a strip of new metal?

This is a 90 degree, maybe 10mm edge.

I'm learning as I go, unfortunately.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
1980 911 SC

Garage
I can't tell what it is you are working on, but, I try to drill from the side I don't need, so the peice that I do need will have the little nubs left on it. Also, you should only be drilling thru one layer of sheet metal. You need to slow down when you think you are almost thru the first layer.

If you are good at welding sheetmetal that peice can be fixed.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm finding it hard to avoid this with certain pieces like the sill area of the rockers. My plan is to weld on replacement metal.
1982 SC D-Stock #372
NASA GTS2
1971T restoration in progress, read about it here:
http://911restorationmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

it is easy to drill through both panels, i actually cut with a sawsall along the flange edge to get the panel off. the flange had 2 layers of sheetmetal on it so i used a grinder to wear away the floorpan layer. it was a lot of work but the flange was in good condition when done. i would cut the flanges off and weld in new formed metal to replace if there is too little material left. what you show in the photo will get blasted away when welding to the new pan.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

like sailchef stated ! there are alot of good spot weld cutters out there but like with most tools it will take time to learn how to use them and see how they work . first and formost slow down your not in a race ! i would weld a patch on that spot . but if your not a good welder there is a chance that you can make a bigger mess . so stay in your comfort zone .
Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: