Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Repainting 81 Guards Red

We are having our 81 repainted. The body is perfect, except for one tiny dent you can barely find. The paint is showing it's age because it is Guards Red and has oxidized and had a few little spots touched up. We've had the car since it was almost new and it now has 40k mi on it, but we've decided to restore since a number of the moldings ,etc were drying out.

So, we've decided to have it completely repainted. The shop tells us that they can no longer use the original paint because of EPA issues. They will match the Guards Red and then clear coat it......... Does anyone have any other ideas or is this just the way it is done these days?

Also, what is recommended for painting the black portion in the center of the wheels. They are showing road wear. I'm told powder coating is probably not possible. If I remember, it was a rather flat black originally........ Ideas or experience with this?

Thanks!

SKM 81
Old 11-15-2009, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Rustoleum Satin Black (#777 I think) is what a lot of the guys around here use for the wheels. Not sure on the red paint question, but I am sure someone here will answer soon on that.

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 11-15-2009, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

SEM sust-shield #3809 mixed with there hardener 8 to1 is a dead nuts match for the wheels . paint yes you can still get single stage colors in all forms . in my shop we use the M90 water base colors as well as there 22 line single stage . so matching the OE finish is not a problem if a shop is telling you they can't match the oe finish find another shop .
Old 11-16-2009, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Another thought before going through an expensive repaint. You might rather save the old paint, have it color sanded and polished.

As for wheel paint a well respected restorer in NJ, John Paterek, recommends Eastwood's Under Hood Black
Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i tried the under hood ceramic urethane paint . it had the look but i found that with the 3 sets of wheels i painted .that it does not hold up well (chips ez) . the other down side is cost at 50 dollats a QT. you can get a gal. of SEM with the hardener for that. an other down side to the under hood paint is if you brake thru to the bare aluminum when preping the wheels you will have to use an epoxy primer first . adds more to the cost . with the SEM you can go right over bare aluminum just like the OE finish . as for EPA . CT. has the same laws as CAL. they are the toughest on use for VOC's in all 50 states . the only change the EPA made is to our bace colors . almost all repair shops use bace clear as there standerd coatings . so there are so few shops using single stage that whey will not change that for some time to come .
Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: