Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Also, forgot to mention, replacements for the side rockers that are heavy steel and rubber. Have it attach from behind so there's no exterior screw holes, and have an optionally deepened version for ground effect aero, maybe about 1.5"+ to match with the new front valance. No rubber, just a small welting like on the 964 rockers, but look like what you see on the 993s.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Tauran, how's that chip doing for you and your dad on that supercharged 3.5 of yours?

The front bumper/valance assembly weights about 52 lbs, or about 40-44 if you try to strip it down to the non-essentials. How about a front bumper/valance unit that replicates the 84-89 style, without all the rubber, keeping the openings for the fogs, right oil cooler intake venting, and turn signals. Do not do a center opening for an oil cooler as you see with all the others on the market. Set up an option to attach an extended front spoiler or design some type of attachable splitter. The closest thing out there now is the RUF replica front, but those have a big hole in the front center for an oil cooler, limited openings for the stock fender coolers, and are limited in what you can do with front spoiler extensions. Maybe you can extend the valance about 1.5" deeper than stock so the factory front rubber spoiler can be used, increasing it's effect, yet still look factory.
Steve, Great to hear from you. Yes your chip tune was exactly what was needed! Runs great. It could use a little tweak on warmer days, but runs awesome during these cooler months.

Your bumper idea sounds like a great for sure. How many do you want Most of these ideas i would need 6+ people interested to help pay for mold costs. Otherwise it would be a good personal project.

I currently have the stock rubber splitter on front, and someone was asking above about a fiberglass replacement or carbon fiber one. I think it could easily be made by my fabricator. He is currently designing some widebody Ferrari's.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Hey, I only have one car!

I know it will be a hit, you just need to make or present it. Any spoiler or splitter that runs at or less than the stock lip will break if it sees anytime on the street if you make if out of a fiberglass or carbon fiber. If you can make it out of a urethane or polypropylene, that would be better. The forward protruding splitter like they have for the 964s would be cool. Otherwise leave a provision to attach the stock rubber lip, or a conveyor belt like material like you can get from McMaster using Rivnuts. The track guys would want something that they can leave off for for regular driving or clearing the ramps on their trailer, and attach when they get there.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I already have most of my car in Carbon Fiber.. Both doors, Both fenders, Hood, front bumper cap and splitter, GT-2 tail, side skirts, and rear bumper. ( All from M.A. Shaw, but the frt bumper was from Better bodies)

I would be interested in the engine tin, and the air shroud on the engine (I would also like the shroud NOT to have the raised hump it it that leads to the engine oil cooler, as I dont have the oil cooler anymore). I would also be interested in the complete dash as well.
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 03-18-2010, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Dashboards would be a good place to start in either a fiberglass that could be covered or carbonfiber that could be left uncovered
2012 Audi A8L
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena
Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
I would like to be able to purchase one of these martini RSR turbo carrera tails. They look like this.....

A full fiberglass kit of that car would sell.

Toluca Lake, CA
Old 03-24-2010, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
here''s more

maybe without the one sided intake scoop. That thing looks a little goofy, like it was an afterthought added on after they found out they needed it.
Toluca Lake, CA
Old 03-24-2010, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarKoBrow View Post
Dashboards would be a good place to start in either a fiberglass that could be covered or carbonfiber that could be left uncovered
I could do that. I was thinking matte finish like i posted the link of before from the Lotustalk website, and then regular fiberglass.

TurboBrat930, I think the engine tin set that onboost posted on page 1 doesnt have the full shroud on the fan (like you want). This is probably the style we would make. I think thats +3 for engine tins. Id like to get 6+ minimum to start a project.

I might start a few threads for these separate parts and once it gets enough replies i will start. I already have one started for the hoods.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Tauran, Yes, that is the shroud I would need, since I am going with the oil filter console, instead of the engine mounted oil cooler.

Of course it would also be nice to have no holes in the engine tin, so I could cut out what I needed.... Since I got rid of the factory WG and air injection, etc... most of the holes in the side engine tin I do not need anymore.

If the parts are of the same quality that you put into that Ferrari hood, count me in... Great Job!!!!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy View Post
here''s more

maybe without the one sided intake scoop. That thing looks a little goofy, like it was an afterthought added on after they found out they needed it.
I can i see that being a one off kit, or maybe lots of $$$ for a small group buy. How much do you think you would want to spend on this wide body kit?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivallt View Post
I could do that. I was thinking matte finish like i posted the link of before from the Lotustalk website, and then regular fiberglass.

TurboBrat930, I think the engine tin set that onboost posted on page 1 doesnt have the full shroud on the fan (like you want). This is probably the style we would make. I think thats +3 for engine tins. Id like to get 6+ minimum to start a project.

I might start a few threads for these separate parts and once it gets enough replies i will start. I already have one started for the hoods.
Did I miss it, what would the price be on this?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
cycling has-been

I'd like to see a smuggler's box lid done in cf or fg - much like this one-off.
The stock lid weighs 2.10 lbs and I have only been able to knock off .9 lbs by gutting, drilling and replacing the center section with a 1mm cf sheet.
thanks
Bill K

Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:

Yes, this is the tin that I posted and I am in the process of putting together a "care package" to mold from. along with dash pieces as discussed.

Believe we originally spoke about the shrouds as well but it kinda fell out of the discussion. However, it would be nice to have matching shrouds "that fit" available.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=bkreigsr;5256826]I'd like to see a smuggler's box lid done in cf or fg - much like this one-off.
The stock lid weighs 2.10 lbs and I have only been able to knock off .9 lbs by gutting, drilling and replacing the center section with a 1mm cf sheet.
thanks
Bill K

Thats +2 for smugglers box. Are they the same for for all models thru 89?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
cycling has-been

[QUOTE
Thats +2 for smugglers box. Are they the same for for all models thru 89?[/QUOTE]

the lid on my 73 is flat across the cover panel.
the lid for my 77 has some dome curvature to clear the blower motor.
If you just made one for the 74-89 models, it should fit earlier down to 69. - pretty sure the screw holes to front crossmember are the same.

Bill K
Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

+4 on engine tins and shroud. Unless your counting me all-ready.

Shane
Old 03-25-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
[QUOTE
Thats +2 for smugglers box. Are they the same for for all models thru 89?

the lid on my 73 is flat across the cover panel.
the lid for my 77 has some dome curvature to clear the blower motor.
If you just made one for the 74-89 models, it should fit earlier down to 69. - pretty sure the screw holes to front crossmember are the same.

Bill K[/QUOTE]

BK.. as noted other than the "dome curvature", which very few of them have, the lids are demsionally the same 69>89.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Preliminary info.
Weighs apx. 10lbs
Built by resin infusion, vacuum bagging
True carbon fiber hood (Same quality used in F1 racing standards)
I'm interested in exactly mean by 'same quality used in F1 standards' as the construction methods and materials you are describing are very different to those currently used in F1.

Just let me know if I can be of any help as I have 13yrs of F1 composite design and manufacturing experience and am fully up to date with the different ways F1 teams make their parts.

Last edited by Captain Ahab Jr; 03-27-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Old 03-27-2010, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

I certainly wouldnt tool up to produce the raw fiberglass engine "tin" as there is already plenty of that in the market. I just got mine from Damon at Series 900 last week and am very impressed with the quality.

RGruppe#252
Old 03-29-2010, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I second Series900-- I was up at Damon's place last weekend for a visit-- the walls are literally HANGING with reproduction fiberglass- shrouds in every color, including the transparent fiberglass S/T types, complete with the correct German "twill" weave. The guy is a genius with fiberglass and has dozens of molds for this and that-- he figured out how to make the early engine tin including the "bowl" for the dual Solex fuel pump, talk about period correct.

The best thing about his stuff is that it FITS unlike so much of the fiberglass on the market-- and Damon is a great guy to talk to. 603 863 0090
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
carbon fiber , fiberglass