Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rick

Garage
Interior coating on tub??

Hi, several questions for the experts on this forum:

I started work on removing 'stuff' from the tub of my 1970 911E while the engine and MFI are away on vacation in the west. I have most of the interior out. What is the coating on the floor on the inside? It is about an eighth of an inch thick, and comes of in chunks. Some of it remains tight to the metal. I am assuming that it is an interior sound-deadening material and should be completely removed. Correct?

Second question: what are the circles that are in the floor pan on a regular pattern? Welded plugs? they are about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter.

Third question: the front and back sections of the pan appear to have a seam weld running accros the car. Should this be re-welded or a re-inforcing strip added?

I plan on cleaning the pan, then cutting the rust out, then welding in patches as required. The rockers are shot, the outer skin is shot, but the inner tub is not perferated. Thus, I plan on repairing the pan and welding in re-inforcements before removing / repairing / replacing the rockers, the outer sill, and parts of the lock post. Then I will move to the front and then to the rear on search and destroy for rust.

Fourth question: Is this the right sequence?

thanks.

rick
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

1st . yes remove it then replace it . 2nd knock out plugs used at porsche when building the car . 3rd can you post a photo i'm not sure what your talking about ?? 4th yes you can do it that way . before you cut the rockers out triangulate brace the door openings and square up the body on jack stands so there is no flexing when the rockers are removed .
Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
If you are only doing the floor pans, do you still need to brace the doors openings?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if there is no rush at all on the rockers then no there would be no need to brace the door openings . just make certain that the body has no twist to it sitting on jack stands (if it is ?)
Old 04-25-2010, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Question on question #2 on the knock out plugs. Not to high-jack, but related to the original questions.

In cleaning the inside floor down to bare metal, I can see day light at the rear end of two knock outs. The knock outs are still in very good condition and someone sealed them with silicone years ago. That has all been removed. Should these knock outs be welded tight to the floor to keep the elements out and then re-coat them when I do the floor? If not what should be done?
65 356SC Cab - Sold to get married; 70 T Sunroof Coupe - Sold to buy a house; 82 SC Targa - Sold so the kids could fit in a 'regular' car 86 Coupe - Sold to start a business; 87 Targa - Sold to expand the second house
89 944S2 Daily Driver
73.5CIS Targa Shed Find -under renovation
Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

no they don't get welded . they get a bead of seal sealer were the two peaces meet . then an other bead around the under side of the car . i hate when people use silicone on there cars body . other than a lambo countch using it on there wheel flears and rocker covers it should only be used in your bathroom ! you may have to bend them to sit flat . and put alot of weight on it as the seam sealer sets up . do the bead were the two parts meet first then after it drys . do the under side . most time 24 hours later if your using the oe type of sealer . if your using a 2 part catalyzed seal sealer them it about an hour for most of them .
Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rick

Garage
Progress report on the tub:

scraping the stuff off slowly. Finally bought a heat gun ($12.99 1600 watts) at Northern Tool. Works great. Only set the fire alarm off three times. Don't 8understand about the round holes: some are rusted out, some are completely intact with a round disk on the inside and gray sealant under the disk. What is the purpose of these? Can I just weld patches on instead of the sealant and the round disk?

Note to self: while using the air chisel / air scraper is satisfying in that you can see chips of stuff flying off, it also is very easy to jam the chisel right through the rusted skin while chipping the stuff off. Heat is better.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
Progress report on the tub:

scraping the stuff off slowly. Finally bought a heat gun ($12.99 1600 watts) at Northern Tool. Works great. Only set the fire alarm off three times. Don't 8understand about the round holes: some are rusted out, some are completely intact with a round disk on the inside and gray sealant under the disk. What is the purpose of these? Can I just weld patches on instead of the sealant and the round disk?

Note to self: while using the air chisel / air scraper is satisfying in that you can see chips of stuff flying off, it also is very easy to jam the chisel right through the rusted skin while chipping the stuff off. Heat is better.
yes air chisels can be very damaging in a hurry. try the 3M brand of prep and strip scotch bright wheels. they work very well removing body shuzt etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mark S

This is what I used, a air needle scaler from Harbor Freight is the best tool for removing I have found.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: