Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rattle cans or spray gun?

I am preparing to respray my wheel wells, along the lip under the rocker panels and also recoating front and rear valence.

While I would love to do a complete strip and repaint it is not practical so I will start with the above and progressively recoat other parts of the car when time permits. My next project will be to respray inside front boot and potentially the door jambs. I may get a pro to do the door jambs as there is a slight bit of rust to deal with and I want a perfect finish.

The only paint experience I have is using rattle cans to restore various parts but not panels.

I am wondering whether rattle cans will be good enough for the wheel wells, inside the front boot plus other areas such as engine bay, etc. I would not consider this for the exterior panel work.

It's obviously cheaper and easier to do it this way but I am prepared to invest in spray equipment if I need to. I am a little concerned about the durability of spray cans as compared to a 2 part process which I expect to be alot tougher.

What is the general consensus on this? Rattle cans or spray gun?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the thing is if you have the tools to do it with a spray gun it cheaper and easier to do it that way . the only thing i ever use a spray can on are things like little brackits .
Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
the thing is if you have the tools to do it with a spray gun it cheaper and easier to do it that way . the only thing i ever use a spray can on are things like little brackits .
Thanks. Initially it will cost me more because I have to buy the tools but I think it will be cheaper in the long run. I'm sure I'll find plenty of other uses for an air compressor.

Ultimately I want to make sure the job is done well. I want the value of my car to go up not down!!

Cheers,
Darren.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

I have the full kit and kaboodle of various HVLP and full pressure guns, tips, etc. and still only use SEM Trim Black in the rattle can for my wheel wells and under the rockers, etc.

What is so nice is that there's no cleanup and if you need to do a repair, it's a 2 minute touch up, versus a 20 minute (if you're lucky) endeavor of:
  • Powering up the compressor
  • Opening the myriad paint cans (paint, reducer, catalyst)
  • Mixing the paint
  • Straining the paint
  • Rolling out the air hose
  • Setting up the gun
  • Shooting the spot in question
  • Dumping the excess paint
  • Breaking down the gun
  • Cleaning up the gun
  • Cleaning up the mixing area
  • Reassembling the gun
  • Draining the compressor
  • Putting everything away
  • yada
  • yada
  • yada

Knowutimean?

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: