Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Spartocracy

Garage
Question Paint Question

This is long...sorry in advance.

So, my 75 911s Targa runs great. I've had it about six months now. The rear half was sanded down to the metal and can spray-primered by the previous owner. The front half is horribly cracked and flaking old silver paint. I want to simply get a cheapie paint job to last 1 or 2 years until I'm really ready to invest thousands on something nice. I went to Maaco (which I know has a spotty reputation, but I've heard that this one does good work). As soon as he looked at my car he said "That's gonna be minimum 4500 bucks...We've got to sand that all down to the bare metal and acid etch it. And then we'll put the double coat with a 4 year warranty." Now the car has some imperfections and semi-shotty bodywork, but it's not too bad. I was hoping to spend between 1000-1500 just so it would not look embarrasing any more for the time being. But this guy starts telling me that if I don't do this $4500 job, the paint will flake right off after a few weeks. So after I get home, I call the guy again and ask what if we do the stripping/etching etc. but just do the cheapest paint process without the 4 year warranty. He apparently misunderstood me and just quoted me $580 bucks and said I would have to "do the work" saying that would be to sand it down and spray it, and he sounded annoyed. So then I said, well, what if we did something in-between for around $1500 bucks, and he says "$1500 bucks won't get you anything." I think the guy is just trying to sell me the deluxe package without need. I'm sure it would look the best and most professional to do, but I don't want to spend that much right now. So is he right about the whole etching thing being an absolute requirement, or could I just get by with their crappy $1000 paint job for 1 to 2 years until I'm ready to drop real cash? Like I said...I just don't want it to look like I just drove it out of the dump for right now. Any advice would help.

Last edited by Spartocracy; 05-10-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

paint checking needs to be removed ( striped ) . if you don't it will come right back at times you will not even get the car out of the booth before you see the checks (cracks) again .
Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Spartocracy

Garage
I understand that the paint needs to be stripped...Half of the car has already been stripped down to the metal, and primed with a can of spray primer by the PO. If I strip the remainder of the paint myself down to the metal, and spray prime that as well, do I still need to spend $4500 for acid etching etc., or can they simply spray primer and paint over the layer of spray primer I've already used?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there is no high quality spray can primer out there only low grade none catalyzed primers . the thing that most people don't under stand is your pissing your money away by doing a half assed job . it will cost you a lot more later when you want it done right . when i first opened my doors some 15 years ago i would take on jobs like your . i stopped after the 2nd year i was opened . for the simple reason that by the end of the summer if even that long your car will look like crap and then the customer gets all bent . you can spray primer over bear metal but if you don't put a e-primer bown first then down the road it will srink ,peal , lift ,delam blow out , and so on . strip the car once and do it right ! but on the flip side you will not get that at a shop like that . when i started 30 plus years ago i started at a macco . i learned alot ! of what not to do . don't take a car to macco that is or could be worth more than the cost of there paint jobs !!!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Spartocracy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
there is no high quality spray can primer out there only low grade none catalyzed primers . the thing that most people don't under stand is your pissing your money away by doing a half assed job . it will cost you a lot more later when you want it done right . when i first opened my doors some 15 years ago i would take on jobs like your . i stopped after the 2nd year i was opened . for the simple reason that by the end of the summer if even that long your car will look like crap and then the customer gets all bent . you can spray primer over bear metal but if you don't put a e-primer bown first then down the road it will srink ,peal , lift ,delam blow out , and so on . strip the car once and do it right ! but on the flip side you will not get that at a shop like that . when i started 30 plus years ago i started at a macco . i learned alot ! of what not to do . don't take a car to macco that is or could be worth more than the cost of there paint jobs !!!
Thanks for the info...my problem is that I'm on an island, and there are only a few shops that will do a full paint job...the other two I called quoted me between 10,000 and 14,000! WTF??? So I may be stuck with maaco...So I guess my next question is this...What type of stripping/priming can I do myself, in order to then have the shop paint it? I don't mind stripping the rest of the car, and priming it any way needed, as long as it's something I can handle...HELP!!!?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you know you may be better off to find a guy that does side work . there must be some kind of cruise nights or car shows you can go to ? just start asking other car people were they had there cars painted . the paint did not go bad over night so take a little time and do some research . when i started working in body shops i was doing side work night in a little 2 bay garage . i would do very good quality work for about a 1/4 of the price a real body shop would charge . the reasons i would do jobs so cheap are trying to get my name out there , 2 my name was on that job . 3 no over head , 4 i would pilfor most of the supplies for the day job . not knowing what the finish looks like its hard to say whats the best way to strip a car there are many ways to remove the finish off a car . they all have + and - to them . can you post a photo or email me one . for some reason i can never seam to post photos here . why do you have interstate hiways on an island ?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

paint

congrats I live on a small island also in canada.I own a custom body shop which will not paint others peoples body work or people who try to save money by doing some of the work themselves.but if you are on a strict budget this is what u have to do.
1 go buy yourself a cheep da sander and a cheep air compressor to run this
2 remove all mouldings mirrors and everthing else that will get in your way or get damaged by a virgin hand.
3 start stripping it panel by panel and finish each panel before you move to your next panel.by finish I meen if there is any rust make sure it is gone with no traces,ie rust vains or staining.If there is still a trace make sure you epoxy prime before any body work is done over the rust.then you can proceed with your body work then use a etch primer on bare metal only then proceed to a 2k high solids primer.Then move to the next panel.

If you think you cannot do this ,just park your car until you have the funds and then bite the bullit and have a professional do it for you.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Or.....leave it alone till you have the money. Go for the rat rod look.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Weekend Mechanic

Spartocracy. You should message Tom from Honolulu, his handle on the forum is Village Idiot. He put a sweet green paint job on his machine and may have some suggestions about how you can do better than Maaco.

I'm in the same position as you but I'm about 70% of the way through stripping my car of parts for painting. I'm planning to do the body work and a proper prime and prep and then have the painters at the shop put the coat of Glasurit over my handy work. If you do it properly as philec71 suggests you should be able to get someone to spray, cut and polish your finish coat for close to 1500 or 2000 if they're working on the side. If you take your time with the body prep it'll look great. Just ask for lots of advice here as you go along. I plan to do the same thing in the coming months.

J

Last edited by targamaniac; 05-21-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Spartocracy very informative post. I hope you get that paint job what ever you decide to do. Just one quick question when e primer is mention are we talking about Eproxy primer or Etch primer.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

eather or ! they both have ALMOST the same use . but i will not get into the when and whys of that right now becouse all jobs require deferent under coats for verying reasons . wate for my book to come out !
Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: