Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Too much rust to buy this 76 Porsche?

I'm looking at a 76 Porsche that's pretty good in lots of ways except for the paint. There's a bit of rust and a fair number of paint bubbles. The pix tell the story. Is there any way to neutralize what's going on here and continue on as is? Or do you have to cut out the offending areas and then repaint the whole durn thing?

The car in question is a 912E. The price on it is $7.9k.

What do you think? A lost cause unless you want to put big bucks into it, which I don't?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mark S

Add 60% more for rust that you can't see. My .02 "run Forrest run".
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Rust is like an iceburg...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Don't do it!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, guys, that's pretty much how I figured it ... Damn, and I really liked it otherwise!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You probably knew this, but there's evidence of a low-quality respray in that car's past, which likely means there were many trouble spots covered up or slap-dashed over.

Brian
Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brian: You're probably right about that. In any event, I passed on the car, sort of; what I actually did was offer them 5k for it, which is essentially the same thing.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Wouldn't touch it with my enemies weenus for 7.5K, and probably still wouldn't at 5K.

The first picture shouldn't be rust. The bumper is aluminum. Has the car been in an accident? Doesn't look nice at all.

I bet anything the door jams are shot. The jack receiver area is probably gone. If you pulled that windshield and gasket you'd find a bunch of rust in there too.

Pull the carpets and stuff near the pedal cluster. Pretty sure a leaking windshield seal can lead to rust down there.

OK I'm convinced wouldn't buy it for 5K either.

There are rough SC's to be found in the 7500 range. If you wanna fixer upper I'd go that route.

Looks like it has lobster interior, which is pretty cool though.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My first 911s looked like that...in college . Everything you see is fixable, if the price is right, and assuming you just want a "driver."

My car had rust in all the same spots. In college, I meticulously sanded, bondoed, sprayed with primer in a can, and painted the same. It actually looked pretty darn good (silver car). Not perfect, but a "driver."

Then, it rained. The first time water touched the rust area's, they all came back...sign.

If you are looking for a "quickie fix" you could try this...

1) Sandblast the effected areas...
2) Ospho, followed by dupont metal prep (zinc)
3) Spray with white epoxy primer

That should keep it for several years...

It might not be pretty and perfect, but it won't rust...

PS. White cars are pretty easy to paint match, thats a plus.

If you get the car for about $2500 bucks, go for it...
Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
This is probably a bit late but how was the car mechanically? What was the final outcome of the 5K offer you made?
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: