Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1978 911 SC Painting

All the mechanical work is just about completed. I now want to do the exterior paint. I want to keep the original color. From what I can tell the car has been repainted - badly - at least once. In many areas the paint is cracked. How do I proceed? Is a complete exterior paint removal the best way to proceed?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/information.

Tom in NJ
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if the car has over 14 mills of paint and or its cracked , checking and or delaminating the finish would need to come off .
Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

78 SC Painting

"the finish would need to come off" means paint removal down to bare metal?
What is the best/most efficient way to do this?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i don't see were you say what the color is or if its base clear or single stage . but in most cases its the clear only that cracks aka checks . if thats the case then you should only need to remove the top coats ( clear and base ) and try to leave the under coats in place . but i'm only guessing with out seeing the car . if you could post pics or email me some at dkbairbrushing@conversent.net i would be able to help you more .
Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

78 SC Painting

I appreciate your input. Here are some pictures.

[img]http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17

Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thats a huge project you have there . There is not much salvageable of the original paint from those pictures.

Look at autobody101.com for tutorials on car painting.

Short version:
1) Aircarft Paint Remover (you can't sand blast, as your motor and interior are in)
2) Sand body
3) Metal Prep/bondo
4) Epoxy sealer
5) High build primer
6) Single stage blue...

If you do it yourself, $1000-$1500 in materials. You need a good compressor, and a decent gun...

Good luck!

Bo
Old 06-24-2010, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

becouse of the rust under the finish i would opt for a blast type striping . you will find a lot more rust under the finish once its off the car . so you would need to have it blasted to remove the rust of that magnitude .
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Aircraft Paint Remover

Who manufactures this product? I want to make sure I get the 'real' stuff.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

its made by klean-strip . you will be pissing your money and time away doing it that way . you will end up with a car that has no paint on it and still covered in rust . for a 1000 dollars you could have the car media blasted then you will have a car with no paint and no rust to deal with . it will not take you 3 day to strip the car and then more time and money to remove the rust .
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

media blasting

962porsche I just spent a lot of money on mechanical restoration: installing engine from another car, brakes, suspension, and on and on. Is it possible to do media blasting with the engine in the car and not experience any problems? If so where do you recommend?
I live in NJ.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

of course its possible . i could not tell you were to take the car i live hours away from you . i good blasting place will cover the motor and tape all the seams so no media will get in to the jams . remove the handles and moldings of your pulling the front glass double up some cardbord were the glass was and blast it .
Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. I could chemically remove the paint down to bare metal and there would still be rust in the metal surface?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
The best, fastest and easiest way to remove the paint is with a variable speed sander (Makita) and 90 grit disks. Go here and become a regular: Autobodystore Forums
Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yes with all the chacking thats in the paint the elements (weather) have rusted the metal on the car . if you chemically strip or even try to strip the finish the way bob stated you will still have rust to deal with . if there was no rust under the finish then you could strip it with sand paper or chemically . when it comes to removing the finish off cars there are many ways to do it . chemically will not remove rust . dry striping the way bob stated will remove some rust. but NOT all of it ! all you need is one little rust spot the size of a pin head and it will keep oxidizing and come back then all your days of hard work and money will be for not ! no one can tell you that there is a fastest and easiest way ! that is determined by how much and what kind of finish is on the car . if your car has a none catalyzed paint on the car you would go thru (90) grit paper like crazy . the fact that no body shops use a 90 grit paper is a hole other point . we would use 80 grit . the bottom line is this the cost is all about the same ! some were in the 1000 to 1500 dollar rang . from strips to the point of top coating . so you have to ask your self . do i want the metal to be as clean as it can be for the cheapest so i don't have to redo the car 2 or 3 years from now . or do i want a Q&S JOB ? if the car came to my shop i would only do it one way I WOULD BLAST IT ! as a shop owner i would not want your car back to fix it for free two years from now . but you should ask around some more . just don't ask people that don't do it for a living !

Last edited by 962porsche; 06-28-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
oops, I meant 80 grit and I was commenting from a DIY standpoint. You could certainly pay someone to soda blast it or sand blast it, but I would guess that would cost about $800. Using the variable speed sander and 80 grit you could do it yourself and then use a rust treatment like PickleX or other product to ensure your converted all the rust to inert. Have fun.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

80 grit sand paper

Bob, you had me going there for a moment because all the sites I looked at sold only 80 grit not 90. Thanks for correcting that.

Tom
Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Go here and check their forum. Len, the admin and owner, is very helpful. I know he will tell you the same thing.

Autobodystore Forums
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i'm on there forums too . alot ! you would not want to soda or sand blast the car ! i will not get into why ! you want to media blast it . media blasting uses plastic shot for the blasting material . i DON'T want to get personal ! but Tom this person bob does not know the first thing about body and paint work . we were just talking about that last week on the other forum . how rust treatments only convert the top serface of the rust . i know your thinking to your self well if i can do it my self and save some money .or its just my time . then you should try it bob's way .see how it comes out .after all you have nothing to lose ? but all your time and money that your putting into the body and paint now ! like i stated before you could do it once the right way as all resto shops do and be done with it . it may cost a little more money up front but whats 2 or 3 hundred now compared to doing the job twice . all i'm saying is it may not be the cheapest way but it is the most cost effective way . i know of no body shop that would do the job the way bob states . so when he tells you thats the way they would tell you to do it on the other forum . no way !!!! thats all i have to say about this good luck !

Last edited by 962porsche; 06-30-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: