Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Old dog learns new trick (spray gun)

I have guns from just about all decades, but no gravity HVPL top loaders. I found one in very poor condition and spent almost a day on it cleaning just to see what it was all about. I didn't get any tools, so I couldn't replace the needle packing and it dribbles.

Nevertheless, I just used the thing and I like it! When I was finished with a small prime job, I turned and threw the thing in the trash rather than spend 5 bucks of thinners to clean it.

I'm off the get a new one. What do you like besides the HF units? NO need for me to spend 300 or more, I don't do much painting anymore. I find that I can get a Chinese unit and blueprint it, so to speak, and they work fine. That would be the conventional type.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered speed offender

Garage
Devilbis GF670 plus
Not too expensive, comes with 3 tips, big cup, works great!
Not HVLP rated but works well on less cfm.
Not a primer gun.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Milt- Like you, I have a couple old spray guns from 25 years ago, an old Devilbis and a Sharp. They were great guns back in their day but no parts to replace seals and such any more. Heck, I even used that Sharp to spray Imron when it first came out. So I'll be curious to see what recommendations you get before I venture out to HF myself. Just want to spray the engine compartment and center tunnel, not a show finish on the body.
'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 07-17-2010, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SCRSMAN View Post
Devilbis GF670 plus
Not too expensive, comes with 3 tips, big cup, works great!
Not HVLP rated but works well on less cfm.
Not a primer gun.
I can't find that gun even on their site.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
It's on there. It's a "Devilbiss GFG670 Plus" Not GF670, sorry about that.
Link: DeVilbiss Automotive Refinishing
Can't remember where I got mine (online somewhere) but it was $290 and I got it a couple months ago and love it!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i would not opt for the gfg line of gun . they are very out of date and use more paint than the newer up to date HVLP and HVLP compliant guns . i will have to say i do have 3 gfg's and there good guns just old . in the devilbiss line i would take a look at the starting line or the finish line guns . they are not true HVLP gun but they are HVLP compliant offering grativy feed (cup on top) at a good price . i have over 100 guns starting from old binks 7's to the top of the line sata's . i have 2 finish line's that work well . for just over 100 dollars a gun they are a good buy for the person that does not use them every day for a living .
Old 07-18-2010, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Probably good advice... my suggestion was based on the lower cfm it lets you get away with and the bonus tips. A true HVLP reqiures big air. I haven't looked at the finish line guns.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Founder-JT Fan Club

I just bought the 2 gun HVLP special from HF. I'm no pro, & I used the touch-up gun to spray my new cage(because it could get into tighter spaces) with no problem. All adjustments worked, and it layed down nice coats of both primer and paint, with no issues.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
78scslantnose

Garage
I'd go with a sata rp or nr2000 expensive but will last a lifetime..
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

dad911,
I don't want to hijack but what size compressor did you use with the HF guns?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just went through all of the different available guns out there that would fit my requirements. I looked at all those mentioned above and the ones listed below.
1) Works ok with a 33 gal compressor supplying 6.7CFM at 40psi (the HVLP guns typically use about 13 CFM at 29psi (2ATM) which would only allow about 1.5 minutes of painting with my compressor before it had to recharge)
2) Not hugely expensive
3) Has a good selection of tip sizes (need 1.3/1.4 for base/clear and 1.8/1.9 for primer)
4) Stainless steel channels so that waterborne coatings can be used (for woodworking).

Here is what I came up with:

1) Eastwood concours - 4 CFM consumption, decent selection of tips, however, seems to use too low a CFM and is fairly new to market. Also, the sold kits are 1.2/1.8 tips which doesn't work for me, so I would have to buy another expensive tip. But, I could spray all day and my compressor could keep up.

2) Sharpe Finex FX3000 - 9.5 CFM, decent selection of tips, many folks like it, pretty cheap ($100). However, the CFM is still high and would allow about 2 minutes of painting before waiting a long time for the compressor to recharge.

3) Asturo WB - 5-6 CFM, large selection of tips, many folks like it and has been proven, more expensive than Finex, but cheaper than Eastwood. Feedback is that the spray is comparable to the Iwata. This CFM range allows me to spray about 2.5 minutes before compressor recharge, but then my compressor could keep up.

I chose the Asturo and have it on order with 1.4 and 1.8 tips. As my compressor will be on a lot, I will have to make sure that I have good water separation and cooling. I am hoping it will be the best of both worlds to use with a smaller compressor. We'll see. I will post my observations once I get to use it priming my car in the next couple of weeks...

Chris
Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Founder-JT Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs911 View Post
dad911,
I don't want to hijack but what size compressor did you use with the HF guns?
I have a large Ingersol Rand, not sure of the CFM, but it is 60 or 80 gallon, belt driven, 2 piston.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Founder-JT Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche735 View Post
2) Sharpe Finex FX3000 - 9.5 CFM, decent selection of tips, many folks like it, pretty cheap ($100). However, the CFM is still high and would allow about 2 minutes of painting before waiting a long time for the compressor to recharge.
Realistically, I think the duty cycle while spraying is probably around 60%......
Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

in my shop i have a 3 phase 10 horse it put out more air then we need . but at my house i pick up a 6.5 hp husky compressure for 450 bucks . i never tryed to paint a car at my house but it states on the tank that the running CFM would handle it with a 100% duty cycle . maybe its time to step up ????
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SCSLANTNOSE View Post
I'd go with a sata rp or nr2000 expensive but will last a lifetime..
the RP is a good production gun, but the NR2000 is very versatile and much better suited to home use. the RP puts out a lot of material, good for a pro in the booth on flat rate, not so good elsewhere. the NR2000 is tuneable to do almost any finishing. spot-ins to full paint jobs.

ps. SATA are the best guns, IMHO.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Has anyone used the airless spray systems. I was thinking of the turbine X4 system. Noise seems an issue. I used a airless on some industrial stuff and it seemed to work well. Straight enamel paint looked great.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: