Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Clear coat

Hi guys,

First thread in this lively forum after becoming a proud 1989 Carrera owner...

Does anybody know how to fix this???

Looks like the PO did a pretty poor job in re-painting the car and the clear coat comes off (or would you say that is normal?). Would be really happy for any insights on how to tackle this - other than doing a complete re-paint (although this has to happen sooner or later I believe).

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

feather it out , prime it and paint it . no its not normal if the job was done right . but on the other hand its what you get when you don't want to step up for a good paint job . so in that respect it is normal .
Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I can see that the welting was not removed and thus adhesion is challenged at the masking line.

It also looks like there is a masking line on the windshield rubber. The whole paint application is suspect. Maaco would be embarrassed.

Save up for a $4-8K repaint. Or learn from here and do it for $1250 and $40K of your time!
2015 Fusion, 2007 Toyota Sienna -my bike hauler, 2012 Outback-kid hauler
Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

thats the kind of work maaco does ! cheap and looks good for a year or so . when it comes to painting cars the higher cost is not putting color in the gun and shooting it its all the work before that . time is money !
Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
clear coat