Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
White spots in Guards Red

Prior to Parade detailed my 1977 Guards Red (still original paint) and waxed it with Meguiar's Tech wax.

Got caught in the rain several times and dried off the car.

Came back home and now have found numerous white spots in the paint. Mostly on the rear fenders where there's alot of heat from the exhaust.

Have tried several Meguiar's products at their suggestion (Paint Cleaner, Scratch X & Mirror Glaze 105) and can't get the white spots out. These spots are in really deep.

Any ideas??????
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

white spots ????? pic's !
Old 07-23-2010, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage

Would be very hard to show in a picture.

Straight on you don't see them.......its at various angles they show up real bad in the shine.

They're water drops (acid rain?) that burnt into the paint that left a white spot on several areas of the body. Mostly where they were baked in from the engine heat
Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Could be the undercoating... Guards Red has a white undercoat, if you got original paint
it has got to be pretty thin by now
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

No........its an acid rain spot(s)

It may be a 1977 with original paint but have had its thickness checked and there's a lot left before the primer is hit.

Had this issue before but it polished out.

Saw a Paint Product vendor at the Mid Ohio ALMS race this past weekend.

He suggested since was an acid rain spot(s) to wash the area with a 50/50 water vinegar solution to neutralize the acid rain then polish.

Will be trying this week.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

how aggressive have you gone ? I use 3M 1500 grit rubbing compound with great success on
single stage paint Porsches. I'm on my second Guards Red 911 in ten years so I have lots of time working on Guards Red. The 1500 grit can be obtained at Wal-Mart and most good auto parts stores, it is the small bottle rubbing compound. good luck with this !
Old 08-09-2010, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yeah, it's probably water spots. I get this on my jeep and have seen it on other dark colored cars. The only way I've "gotten rid of it" is to wash with a good car wash- like the crystal wash, I think meguiars calls it- not gold class- that is for maintaining a finish. Then you need to dry your car off with a very clean squeegee and clean, non-softened Terry cloths, then take your car inside, out of the sun. These spots form from the sun drying and baking the minerals and chemicals in the water into your paint finish. Then you need to use the series of detailing products that meguairs sells. Go to your local auto store or napa. And buy the brown colored bottles of meguiars. There should be numbered 1 paint cleaner 2 polish 3 wax or glaze or something similar. I think there are 1 to 4 steps or chemicals and then the wax. Forget the scratchx. You need to apply these with a dual action polishing machine and disposible foam pads. You don't have to spend a fortune on one of these but you get what you pay for. Laugh it up paint guys, but I've actually used with great succes a all Coleman brand da orbital polisher with turtle wax brand foam pads. You need to apply each step section by section wiping with clean non-softened Terry cloth towels. Finish one type of chemical then throw away the foam pad and use a new one for the next step. This process should take you several hours and many Terry cloths. The last step should be a wax. The spots will come back eventually. Even good paint doesn't take long to get tired.

Last edited by ratpiper71T; 08-15-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Old 08-14-2010, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to chris.817
I have the same problem

87 guards red. Really bad. It is only on the roof but the sunroof is prestine... I have used Griots paint prep, clay, then polishes 1-3. And a little vinegar for a goof.

This car looked like this when I bought it 4 years ago. Cleaned up pretty good last time. Nothing seems to phase it now.

00 Carrera Cab - White on Navy
86 951 - India Red on black - Sold
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

what ever it is may be coming from the under side and only a repaint will fix it . the thing to think about is if its coming from the under side is that you may want to strip the finish off the panel . becouse if it is comeing from the under side it will or may come back in time . this sounds funny but it does work from time to time . take a heat gun to a small spot and see what happends . when i worked at the porsche and benz dealer some time ago . the car covers they would use would leave the same kind of looking spots on the top panels and a heat gun would remove them . also did you ever try to color sand and buff them ?????
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to chris.817
Hi jacking again... Sorry GLASEM.

I just took this to the best painter in town. He proceeded to show me how the roof had had damage repair and repaint that is trashed. At the corners you can see the old paint under where the new is flaking off. He says it can be wet sanded but to not bother. Suggests a repaint of the roof from cowl to cowl, done properly of course.

If I wet sanded for now, how should I go about that? What stages of paper?
00 Carrera Cab - White on Navy
86 951 - India Red on black - Sold
Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: