Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Deepwater

Garage
Sanded through color coat - accidently

Hi, This is my first post to this forum as I have finally got around to cosmetic issues on my 85 Carrera Coupe, Guards Red.

I was knocking down some poorly done attempts by the PO to fill short, but deep scratches with touchup paint in the middle of the passenger door with 2000 grit when I realized that the primer was starting to show through in an area adjacent to the scratch. Apparently the panel had been repaired in the past and only a light coat of guards red was applied. In any case I broke through. The area is about the size of a half dollar.

My question is: Can I use a spray can of touchup (laquer?) paint and blend it in to cover the breakthrough?

Twenty years ago I did quite a bit of painting using laquer and sorta remember how to go about blending in a spot repair.

I know the Porsche paint is enamel, should I use enamel to try the same repair instead of laquer?

Any help, opinions are appreciated.

Dennis
1997 993 Coupe C2, 1987 930 Turbo Coupe, 1985 911 Carrera Coupe, 2002 Boxster S Blue (all departed)
Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

porsche never used enamel on the main body of there cars . they went from lacquer to urethane . porsche was one of the first car makers to start using urathane paints . i would just take it to a body shop and be done with it . could you do it the way you stated ? yes some times .
Old 07-24-2010, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Founder-JT Fan Club

Worth a try, I say go for it.

Worst case, you have to sand off your paint and bring it to a body shop anyway.

But before I spray-bombed it, I would try to beg or borrow a touch-up gun, and get some matching paint. Or since it is a small area, maybe even an airbrush.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

take it from an airbrush artist an airbrush will not work . i opened the doors on my shop 18 years ago to just do airbrush and custom paint work and from there it has turned into a full service shop . a touchup gun will or even a full size gun . the big thing with spot repairs it the halo you get from the dry over spray around the repair . you would need to melt this in with a very slow reducer. they do not sell that in a spray can . one good thing is that the car is red . solid colors are much easier to do a spot repair on than a metallic color .
Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Deepwater

Garage
Thanks for the replies.

I do have a touchup gun that I can use. If I try the repair, my approach would be to sand the area with 1200 grit to give it some tooth, mask an area around the spot with tape ( not stuck down to leave an edge but curled in) and then lay down multiple coats of reduced enamel (more so than usual) extending well past the area. After drying color sand with 1200 - 2000 grit followed by Scratch X, Polish and Wax.

What do you think? I don't see much downside.
1997 993 Coupe C2, 1987 930 Turbo Coupe, 1985 911 Carrera Coupe, 2002 Boxster S Blue (all departed)
Old 07-25-2010, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

leave alot of room for the blend . so don't mask it too close . a good way to lessen the halo is to work from the out side in . what i meen is lay your first coat down as far out as you want your blend to be . then on the next coat don't go as far out as the first one and so on with each coat . working from out side to the inside . then with some real slow reducer melt in the halo over spray around the edge. i would not wet sand the blend you could very ez sand it off . just some fine cuting compound on a rag . don't blend on to a sanded part of the panel . clean the blend area with some prepaint cleaner then with a cutting compound and a rag compound the blend area . i would not try to do this with an enamel but a single stage urethane would suit the task better .

Last edited by 962porsche; 07-25-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Deepwater

Garage
Thanks again for the advice 962Porsche. Shooting urethane with its toxicity problem might be more than I want to deal with, maybe going to the body shop trumps the DIY this time.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
You can't use lacquer over urethane. You can use lacquer over lacquer - you can use urethane over lacquer - but lacquer over anything else will cause a bonding issue. It may bubble or check, then it is a real mess. I am own a manufacturing company that fabricates high end casework, millwork and furniture - we finish our own product and some pieces are done in an automotive finish. We either use lacquer or a 2 part epoxy urethane. We paint wood and metal products - and cars are no different in the way we prep, wet sand etc.

So - lacquer over lacquer only. If you do not have a gravity feed gun - i would take it to a body shop.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
you would need to melt this in with a very slow reducer.
962porsche - does this literally mean to spray the slow reducer over the halo or is it a mixed batch with pigment and hardener that you spray?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

reducer only .you put just blend in reducer in the gun turn the air pressure down just a little and only on the halo spray a light coat of the reducer only . this will melt the edge in . when doing a mid panel blend you want all your products to be in the slow family (reducers and hardeners ) that lessen the halo .
Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Thank you. My jobber has talked of a "hot" coat when blending 22 line but this spells it out nicely.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if your going to use glasurit the part # for the blend in reducer is 352-400 . depending on the color you can over reduce the color with some 352-400 . i only do that if i nave a pour hiding color like yellow that will take twice as many coats to cover as say a black does . my email is dkbairbrushing@conversent.net if you want a glasurit TDS sheet on blending solid colors .
Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Man,..this stuff really makes me want to go attend some tech courses to get the jist of these processes (in the trench, that is)..and that's an Engineer speaking,..then again, I don't see where that would make a sheeit with the boys who do this work so effortlessly and perfectly.

Time to spend some time on learning this stuff...I live vicariously through these body threads,..It's high time to get some formal training then beg a way in to the trench shops housing the guys that know this "stuff"......just saying,..interesting to me..

And many thanks to those who contribute here, with their pro experience...neat stuff, dudes. Priceless.

Best,

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Automotive paint supplie shops can put any color paint in a spray can ... for those kind of touch ups Note it will be single stage paint
Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i in no way would want to even try to do a mid panel spot repair with a non activated spray can product .
Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
mid pannel repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
i in no way would want to even try to do a mid panel spot repair with a non activated spray can product .
I agree I wouldn't attempt to do a very visible area with the mixed factory colors ..but in an area that is not as visible ..it would be allot easier for a beginner..due to the fact that the blending the color and the application of clear and more blending , then adding some color to the clear to achieve the proper fade is better left to a pro.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
962Porsche - Thank you for the kind offer to send me the tech sheet. When I get to the project I will check the Glasurit site first before bugging you.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: