Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche Nut

Garage
Anyone have exp. with Lizard Skin?

I have seen this product used on some other forums. I want some sound control as well as heat control, but do not want the non-original look of using sheet products like Dynamat. Plus the Dynamat is very expensive, especially if you use a lot of it. What I am thinking about doing is spraying the Lizard Skin and if it does not look like the Wurth SKS Stone guard, go over it with the Wurth product. Need to be sure that the Lizard Skin can be top coated, but I cannot see why not. They are both water based products.

Lizard Skin Ceramic
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
300hp 1800lbs is the goal

Garage
Just doing some searching, cause I will need something once all my rust repair is done. That Lizard Skin seems quite pricey. Edit... okay looks like they lowered all their prices.... the gun used to be like 150$ too

Insulating Paint Additive Makes Paint Insulate

Micro glass spheres added to latex paint is supposedly all the LS is. You can get the spheres for pretty cheap. I wouldn't want to trust latex paint anywhere on my car tho..... I was going to tremclad rust paint everything. Now I'm thinking I'll add those spheres to the tremclad for the interior floors, instead of sound mat

The science was settled: Earth was flat.
Galileo : Flat Earth denier.

Last edited by pksystems; 09-27-2010 at 07:53 AM..
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pksystems View Post
Just doing some searching, cause I will need something once all my rust repair is done. That Lizard Skin seems quite pricey. Edit... okay looks like they lowered all their prices.... the gun used to be like 150$ too

Insulating Paint Additive Makes Paint Insulate

Micro glass spheres added to latex paint is supposedly all the LS is. You can get the spheres for pretty cheap. I wouldn't want to trust latex paint anywhere on my car tho..... I was going to tremclad rust paint everything. Now I'm thinking I'll add those spheres to the tremclad for the interior floors, instead of sound mat
PK, it looks like the price for their sphere mixed paint is just as expensive as LS. Just looked very quickly, but if you click on their links it looks pricey. Keep in mind also that the Wurth SKS Stone Guard is also water based. Not sure if that is the same thing as Latex, but it seems pretty durable and the Wurth products are well regarded. Let me know if you come up with more info. I sure as hell don't want to do anything that would cause rust ever again.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
When I was searching it sounded like the LS used to be like 400$ for 2gallon and $150 for the gun (That's why I added that edit) I see on their site it's cheaper now (for both)

Tremclad now has a waterbased rust paint, but I won't be using any of that near my car... just the nice toxic stuff... save the planet...meh

I'll try the spheres with tremclad... and I'll pickup a cheap undercoating gun from princessauto (Canada's Harbour Freight)

I'm gonna hold off paint till the rust is fixed, and cage is in tho

Old 09-27-2010, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Yes, the gun is nothing more than a basic under coat gun. would you mix the ceramic spheres into something like POR15 and shoot it? I have used both POR and Zero Rust. I like the way POR goes on with a brush, thick, but do not care for the shinny finish. I have bought ZR in qts but have not brushed it on yet.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
POR15 needs a topcoat, or it will get damaged by UV light. I believe Zero Rust doesn't need a top coat (similar to Tremclad from past research) They sell flat colours of tremclad.... I have to figure if I want high gloss orange, high gloss black, or flat black for my interior

When I get a bit further into the rust repair I'll pick up some of the hytech additive. I plan to paint the entire interior/exterior of the car with it, then I'll undercoat the wheel wells.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Have you thought about using Line-X? They offer coating for purposes other than truck bed liners. I am thinking of Line-X as the undercoating instead of Wurth.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: