Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

door skins and inner fender support

If some of the experts could chime in that would be great!

What is the correct procedure for replacing a door skin?
1) Weld top then panel adhesive and fold over the bottom? . Then weld front and then adhesive and fold the back?
2) Weld top then frond and use adhesive and fold bottom and back?
? any recommendations

And the inner fender supports weld or use adhesive to attach to inner body? I know they were originally welded but I have done some rust repair and would prefer not to burn that off. Any recommendations?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

Are you talking about the fender joining panels up front? I would weld them on without doubt- just punch holes in the flange, hold it against the car and mark where they'll lie and then only clean the small circular areas where you'll plug weld. That should minimize the amount of protection that will burn off.

As for the skin, it depends on the car. I usually get it fitted right then do the folds first, work from bottom to the top or left-right. Never tackled a 911 skin, though, so I might approach it differently. Probably secure the top first and work down since there aren't any lower body lines to throw you off (like early Camaros and such) once you have the panel secured to the frame.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Scott!
How big should the holes in the flange be? I don't have a punch so I will be drilling the holes in.
Barry
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you can use an adhesive if and only if its not a stressed structure part of the car . when doing skins if your using door skin adhesives like SEM's 39957 . you do not need to tack weld the skin . thow we do at times just to replicate how the manufacture does theres . if your not using an adhesive then 6 tacks do on mast skins . one at each corner and an other two half way up the door front and rear . as for the folding over the skins this should be done all the way around at the same time do not fold over one side at a time this will distort the skin so that you will need to use body filler to repair . just fold it a little at a time it should take about 5 to 7 trips around the door before the skin is folded compleatly over . we have a tool in my shop to do skins but i like the old fashion way with a door skin hammer and a hockey puck cut in half for a dolly . if you do a skin the right way you should need no body filler at all . i get real pissed off at my tech's if they put mud a new door skin !
Old 10-12-2010, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: