Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 quarter / rocker advice?

My current 944 Turbo sports some bad repairs to both quarter panels and both rockers, involving a lot of filler -- much of which is now cracking. The doors close fine and everything fits, though, so I am headed to a fellow Pelican's place this weekend to pick up some replacement stock (basically, the whole rear end, plus rockers, cut in two):

...and will spend some time deciding whether to just cut out the parts I need from these good panels to patch mine (it would take a lot of patching), or drill out all the spot welds on the panels shown to free up the quarters, etc.

I've never done body work this involved, before, and I would love to get some advice!

Note: neither car has any rust that I can detect.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

change the compleat qtr seam it were the qtr glass is to the rear hatch . butt welding it not over lapping the panels . and seal it about a 1/2 inch up from were the front of the qtr glass meets the top of the qtr at the belt molding on the door .
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Okay, got it. I'll run the seam just above the gas cap on the passenger side.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure to have more questions as I get into this!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yep thats good . i go about half way up the qtr glass that gets you away from the crap around the fuel neck .
Old 10-13-2010, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just thought I'd bring this back to ask some safety questions as I continue to plan:

1.) Do I need to drain the fuel before all this cutting and welding? Similarly, will I need to remove the gas tank, too?
2.) Should I take the computer out of the car before all the welding, or is that an unnecessary precaution?

Sorry if these are ridiculous questions -- as I said, this is the first time I've taken this sort of project on!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there should be no need to drain the fuel . if your only doing the QTR and not doing any inner panels like bulkheads , wheelhouse or reinforcement panels then just undo the rubber seal around the fuel filler neck and push it out of the way of the QTR . you may have to remove the cover that covers the fill neck on the inside of the car to be able to push the filler neck out of the way . then cover the filler neck with some thing that will not burn . it may be a good idea to get a fire blanket / welding blanket to cover the area around were you cut , weld and grind . as for removing the computer . no need ! when you cut , weld or grind on a car its a good idea to take the cables off the battery .

Last edited by 962porsche; 01-04-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll find some welding blankets. I'm sure I'll understand better what you mean about the filler neck when I get the panel loose.

I also have two more plans for these new quarters:
- They will have to be rolled to accept my wide rear tires, like the current ones
- I would like to fill in the side marker openings

Would it be better to do both jobs while the panels are still rigidly attached to what remains of the old car, or wait until I have them welded in place?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

+1...remove battery cables, that way no surges thru car/battery to computer to fry it.

Perhaps for extra safety unplug the DME...I know when doing a chip you unplug it to avoid ANY static electricity.

Better safe than sorry I suppose.

have fun!
Magnaflow 2 1/2" exhaust with K & N 4 inch custom intake
MaxHP chipped
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the filler neck is just the neck that runs from the QTR opening were you put the fuel in the car to the fuel tank its self . on the inside of the car there is a cover panel that screws on with some #2 phillips heads . once you remove that cover you will see all the hoses and the filler neck its self . just pull the neck back out of the way . i would install the QTRs first then do the filler panels for the old side lamps and roll the wheel openings to fit the tires .
Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: