Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

why polish?

Does car polish really preserve the paint or does it just make it look nice? I am thinking I ought to polish before winter but feel lazy ...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Polish does nothing to preserve paint. Polish polishes. Polish is an abrasive and takes off a micro fine layer of paint (the oxidised surface) revealing the new paint underneath. In fact polish will reduce the life of paint as it is removing thickness. Polish enough and you will wear right through the paint layer. Protection comes in the form of a protective coating such a carnuba wax. Some of the new polymers even have UV inhibitors which slow the oxidation on the paint surface.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
waxing will give some protection, maybe. polishing is for removing defects, only when needed. if it's modern paint, just keep it clean. if original a waxing is OK. key is making sure the paint is CLEAN first. I like a clay bar, then thorough washing then a good wax.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

I have a 85 911-what is the best wax I should use to get the swirls out of the red paint? Somebody told me to use awax that starts with g but I forgot the entire name. Anyone know what wax I should use?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Try lusso oro. It's amazing
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1469 View Post
I have a 85 911-what is the best wax I should use to get the swirls out of the red paint? Somebody told me to use awax that starts with g but I forgot the entire name. Anyone know what wax I should use?
A wax in its most pure form will not remove swirls. Some waxes on the market now have cleaning agents which can minimize the swirl look, but to fully remove them, the surface needs to be treated correctly. A thorough cleaning, A clay bar to remove any surface contaminants, followed by a compound or series of compounds. This is the critical step as there are so many variables. The abrasive level of the compound/polishing agent, the rpm of the tool being used, even the type of applicator being used all affects the result. The last steps can include a sealant followed by a wax to protect it. If you've not done this before, may want to enlist an area detailer who can properly do the job with the correct tools.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1469 View Post
Hi...As a finishing polish, it's hard to beat 3M's Ultrafine machine polish...Most auto body shops use 3M's products from their masking tape, sand papers, including their
"Perfect-It" line When finished polishing just use a high quality carnauba car wax such as Meguiar's Gold. It goes on very easy and comes off the same.

I see that 3M bought them out a couple of years ago, so I presume that some of their new products are either similar or the same.

3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish, 16 ounce, 39062

High Performance Compounds & Polishes - Compounds, Polishes, Glazes - Products

You will like the ease of using it especially the finished job ..You'll pay more for it because it is a quality product.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: