Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuch refinish.

Hello everybody.

I've reading every existing post about refinishing fuchs.

1. Would you polish the lip first, mask it, paint and coat the center or,

2. Paint and coat the center, mask it and polish the lip?

Let me know what you think and help this rookie!

Thank you, happy holidays
Old 12-01-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I was going to strip everything, polish the lip, mask everything up and spray the center black and then clear everything together.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

god knows how many sets of fuch wheels i have refinished ???? this is how i do them . 1st allot of people remove all the finish off the wheels . most of the time there is no need to do so . just feather back any chips and damage in the OE finish . i then polish the outter lip of the wheel . the i mask off the outter lip and spray the back side and the center of the wheel with SEM's rust-shield #3809 mixed 8 parts color to one part hardener this making the black a semi gloss black as the wheels come from porsche . its a dead nuts match to what porsche uses for there finish . with rust-shield there is no need for primers as its a one coat product that you can do DTM with . ( DTM aka derect to metals ) . if your thinking of clearing the polished aluminum DON'T use a clear made for base/clear top coats it will not stick . in a year it will be pealing off . eastwood sells a clear made for clearing polished aluminum . then repolish the outter lip by hand to remove any tap and finger prints that are there from you handing the wheels . mask off the black and clear the polished lip of the wheel . on most of the wheels i do for my self i don't clear the outter lip . i leave the bare aluminum its not a big deal to just use some soft metal polish one or twice a year to the lip of the wheel to keep them real shinny .
Old 12-04-2010, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That sounds good!

I was going to get them blasted and start from scratch. This sounds easier and less time demanding.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: