Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1980SCMan

Help With Fiberglass Repair, Please!

I have a tail on my 1980 SC. It is a Carrera tail (with rubber lip) that is all fiberglass. It has several spider cracks and a long crack at the base. I'd like to repair it. I've done some bondo repair and paint work in the past. What is the process for repairing these cracks.

I was told to pull the lid off, remove the rubber lip, sand off all the paint, grind out the cracks, fill the bad areas with fiber and resin, and sand smooth. Is that all there is to it or does anyone have any good advice to share?

It sounds straightforward. Is there a product recommendation I should be aware of or some technique I should attempt that is not obvious?

Thanks for considering this and replying.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
you can not use bondo to fill those cracks, it will just crack again,...

you have the correct way

sand down all the paint, sand down the cracks, scuff area pretty good, clean, apply new fibers and resin, sand smooth, then give it a skim coat of bondo so even everything out again
Old 12-19-2010, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: