Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Track wheel brake dust in paint

I paint the centers of my track wheels every year with a new color, (white 87 911 coupe with fuchs). Red/Blue/Orange.....?

i have been using porterfield track pads

I do clean the car when I get home , but the paint gets embedded with brake dust very quickly. No polish, compound, cleaner or any type can remove it.

My original white wheels were quite resistant to this, I think they were repaints ( mechanic said so because the centers were painted to the rim).

I accept they will need repaints due to the inevitable nicks from torquing and transport, but I would like them to look good for more than the amount of time it took me to mask them.

Any thoughts on what to do to prevent this from a painting/ curing perspective?
I might have only let them cure for a week. I rattled canned them with custom filled laquer, followed by some clear (typically).

Would a thin film of vaseline help or or wax? or longer cure?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you need to use a catalysed paint . laquer and none catalysed enamel paints from a spray can will not hold up . what you are using is called a reversible product . what that meens is that it will turn or wants to turn back to a liquid state when either a solvent or high heat gets to the coating (paint) . a finish like that never gets to a true cure state . the down side now is if you want the finish to hold up you will have to strip off the old paint you have sprayed on the rims . if you just spray over the non catalysed finish with a catalysed paint at this time the non catalysed paints under the catalysed paint will still move around and keep getting soft when it gets hot .
Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: