Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Diminished Value

Has anyone had "diminished value" issues with their early 911 and insurance companies after an accident???
Thanks in advance.
Ed

RGruppe #124
Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i have to deal with insurance co every day . its common when it comes to old cars getting in accidents . just what is the deal with your car and why ????
Old 02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
1973 Diminished value

I was stopped at a red light behind a CA highway patrol car. A fellow crashed into the back of my 73-911 Targa. The car required roughly $6500 to repair body and paint and about $7,000 for engine repair (air box, exhaust system, trans repair, R&R engine.

The car is an RGruppe hot rod not a garage queen BUT it was in perfect condition, factory paint etc.

Ed
RGruppe #124
Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

that is not uncommon to get hit for things like betterments . if the body has prior damage like old faded paint or a motor with miles on it . the run of the mill insurance CO's like allstate and progressive like to hit the claimant for things like that . when things like that come into play i tell my customers to use there own insurance . your insurance rates will not go up ! its the law they can't rase your rates because you put in a claim like that ! the accident was not your falt . but they will at times and do hit you for a car that is in better shape then it was before the accident . so thow it sucks it is just the way it is . i had a BMW 2002 turbo in my shop this past fall that the owner got hit in the side . the car was not in the best of shape even thow the car was rear . the paint was checked on the QTR and the fender the insurance co. paid to replace the door , A-piller and fender but hit him for a 1100 dollar bettermint because the side of the car was better than preaccident when it was finished . by law an insurance co only has to make the car as it was in pre accident condition and nothing more . in this case i could and would not paint over check paint and the insurance co would not pay to strip the panels . so should i do it for free ? should the insurance co pay? or the car owner pay ?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
jdill

Garage
ed i dont know how calfornia handles diminished value claims butyouhave every rigt to pursu it and i think you hve nothing to lose, most people dont even knowwhat it is,but your insurance co does,, they will pretend they dont but they do,although your car is repaired you definitely hve suffered a serious loss of value wh your vehicle making it almost worthless to any serious collector,,, you should put together value comparisons of a virgin car and a rpaired car and propose a settlement offer to the insurance co of the party who hit you,, you have a real case,, properly handled you will get paid
Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
jdill

Garage
you may even have to sue the guy whos car who hit you, then his insurance co will back him up,, i would get three comps on clean cars never hit, use hemmings and then get an apraisal fo the value of your car ,you should be off the value maybe 20k
Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

jdill

Garage
negotiations are in your favor when hit in the rear,,, you have no fault here to lose this money, the time frame is important, speak with a attorney if you canthandle this yourself, i bought a download called claims buster online for ten dollars, they tell you how to hndle yourself,,i was offered 6400 for a 1988 924 pristine,it was a total loss and wound up settling for 14500 goodluck kelley blue book was 6000 its all up to how you handle it
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The rare time I drove my 77 930, just repainted. Picking up a pizza, come put to find that a lady pulling into to next parking spot hit my rear fender. Not bad. I just know the shop that originally just painted it can't match it perfectly. They tried that on one piece and they could not after several attempts. Not sure if I go too another place for the inurance claim.

Anyway the car has never been hit in the rear before. Had a fender replaced once, is my guess. Would I be looking at diminished value once it is repaired. If there is should I go after insurance company for that.

Last edited by dhg1337; 07-17-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

No !

Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: