Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-detailing-forum/)
-   -   Aircraft stripper to get down to metal? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-detailing-forum/590753-aircraft-stripper-get-down-metal.html)

berettafan 02-09-2011 02:45 PM

Aircraft stripper to get down to metal?

I would like to build a car from a bare tub and am in the process of securing the tub.

Current plan is to completely strip the tub then have exterior, front trunk and engine compartment shot in one color. Am doing this on a very tight budget and will be doing everything possible myself. I've read many times that aircraft stripper is the best way to strip a car but does that include the front trunk and interior?

I'm worried that the nooks and crannies in the front trunk will prove very difficult to properly strip and clean. However my current car was sandblasted by PO and after several years of ownership and driving i have YET to get all the sand out of it. Sooooo i'm thinking media blasting isn't my best option.

I'm also curious what DIY guys are doing to keep rust away once car is stripped. Are you shooting primer with a harbor freight HVLP gun and if so is it feasible to get interior, trunks AND body parts completely covered?

I've read that if you do the prep and post work yourself a very nice paint job can be obtained from places like Maaco. I'd really like to give this a shot as my car will be a bastard T used for ax'ing and fun runs.

Thoughts and input on this plan?

Thanks!

962porsche 02-09-2011 04:51 PM

ok as for the finish in the engine compartment and the trunk .there are allot of people that remove the finish from there car needlessly thinking its the best way to go . its not always the case ! has it failed like pealing or checked ? if not then there would be no need to strip it ! you can just DA it removing most of the top coat (color ) using a 6 inch and 3 inch DA with 220 and 320 paper you can leave most of the under coats (primers) there and then e-prime seal and paint . and again what is the reason you want to strip the outside of the car . is there more than 14 mills of material on the car ?(about 2 paint jobs . one OE and one repaint is about 14 mills ) is the finish pealing , checked , cracked or failing ? as for if a place like macco can lay down a good finish ? its really all about the painter then were you get it done . if you want a good paint job that 1st starts with the body work not the person with the gun . and from there then find a good painter and look at 3 plus paint jobs they have done . if they look good then have him paint your car . but places like macco are hit and miss . just because your friend got a good paint job from there if that painter is no longer there and they now have a hack painter then you will get a hack paint job .not a good job like your friend ! some cheap spray guns work ok . but with any HVLP guns they work best when you have every thing HVLP like air lines , fittings and so on right from the air tank . if not even the best HVLP guns don't work all that good .

berettafan 02-10-2011 04:19 AM

Thanks for the input 962. I've looked at quite a few tubs via email and while many are without paint the tub i'm very close on does have paint on it. However I would have to do some stripping as i'd be filling in a sunroof. I suppose a limited area like that would be a good job for a da?

962porsche 02-10-2011 09:30 PM

a da with some 80 grit would be fine for removing the finish around the sunroof .

jsveb 02-12-2011 04:40 PM

Hi

I am just following along, and have a simple question. What is a DA?

Thanks and Good luck.

Jesper

Fishcop 02-12-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsveb (Post 5843097)
Hi

I am just following along, and have a simple question. What is a DA?

Thanks and Good luck.

Jesper

It's another name for a "random orbital" sander.

962porsche 02-12-2011 05:51 PM

DA stands for dual action .

bluemane500 02-28-2011 04:42 PM

macco sucks stay away products are garbage cheapest on the market, it dont matter who paints it you want to spend 200 then okay good products cost alot, from strip to finish,,epoxy,2k,spray pol,2k,base,clear=2500 materials alone