Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
***1/2 price only 500 until Thursday*** Is Macco Best job any good?????

Maaco of New York | Auto Body Repair | Auto & Car Painting
Im bronging my car tomorrow to have it done . they told me it is like showroom quality . Or like when first bought from dealership .
This is the first paint job i ever did on a car . Any opinions .??
Fro 500 they sand prime coat, base coat and 1 clear coat
Sounds to good to be true . But if it is good ,i want others to know ,about this ,who might need their car painted and is also strapped for cash like me . I cant afford the good stuff . By i try to get a taste of it by fixing and repairing thing s that i can .
i got this old 944 and tryijg to revuive it little by little
If Macco is no good please tell me before tomorrow .I will drop it off tomorrow.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
jdill

Garage
macco sucks dude 500 is there pemium job your car is better off left alone they are a joke dont waste your good money on bull crap
Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
its not their best job. its the presidential package, sand prime ,enamel paint and clearcoat.
.Any1 familiar with this paint job. .???
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Macco is hit and mis. $500.00 certainly is not there best paint job. As recall when i ntook my daily driver for a freshen up their top of the line paint job was $1,500.00. Furhter what do you think you are going to get for $500.00? they may be sanding priming and painting but guaranteed they are not spraying the jambs or fixing dings. They will tape off handles, and trim vs. pulling them, etc. I would re-think that paint job.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Paint Job.........

The paint job being done on my SC is going to run about $3,500. And, that is with all of the disassembly/reassembly work being done by me. Paint prices that I got ranged from the above mentioned $3,500 up to about $9,000! For $500, you might just want to buy some cans of paint and have at it.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If....

it's all you can afford, I'd suggest obtaining a credit for their paint and substituting a better quality paint. If you need any bodywork it will probably raise the quote greatly.

I think their actual methods & prep are usually decent, but the paint quality is bargain basement at that price.

Good Luck, I'll be facing the same problem in the future on some Mustang project cars that I need to have painted economically.

Don't be put off by some people who think every car needs a $10k paint job, that's total nonsense on some cars (including some model 911's) that you might never be able to get your money back out of.....
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Not tryin' to rain on your parade.........

You just need to decide what level of paint job that you will be satisfied with. If my car was a daily driver, I would not be spending this much on the paint because I know that it would get marked up fairly quickly. Also, if it is a car that you might be wanting/needing to sell soon, then the big bucks don't make sense. Back many years ago, my Dad had a Dodge sedan painted by Maaco or the equivalent and it came out suprisingly nice. I guess it will depend mostly on the quality of the workers at the paint shop. In my case, I have been driving my SC for over 13 years waiting to have it painted, so my expectations are pretty high.
Good luck with your project!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I have had a couple MAACO paint jobs. First, yeah, not a good paint job. 2nd, if that is all that is in your budget, it's probably better than nothing, plus it protects the metal (as apposed to rust).

MAACO is the definition of a "production shop". In quality vs quantity, they are only interested in quantity, with barely enough quality to keep the door open and the lawyers away. If halfway decent paint is going to run you several hundred bucks, and a halfway decent painter is at least $20/hr, and the shop wants to make money..... do the math. Cheaper paint and almost non existent prep work (by Porsche standards).

Answer, First, do as much of the prep work as you can without creating more work for them. Second, make sure they know that you have only done SOME of the prep work, so that they don't just tape and shoot after it gets there. Third, disassemble everything you can do on your own. If you intend to replace the seals, pull all of the glass and moldings, also bumpers, door handles, lights, rubber trim, wiper arms-nuts, and even the rubber grommets centering the wiper shafts into the front cowl.

The reason is two fold, less over-spray on your car, also, if the prep and paint guy think it is a cool car with a guy who is really trying to get a decent paint job, they will work just a bit harder to make it come out good.

MAACO painted my first racecar for free to get their name on it. I gave it to them disassembled and it turned out to be a pretty good paint job.

Good luck,
Vince
Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
i decided to go with 4 shocks all around .its pretty rough and i want to address that before it ruins or shakes apart the car . New york streets are car killers.
Also i still have the damper / starter problem . 3rd guy i tried . still cannot match up the modification . Friend of mine told me to call lindsay racing? they are familiar with modifications. '

i was going to paint and sell . but alll other maintenance was performed . Mechanic was impressed that everything is up to par . New timing belts , water pump, 4 calibers ball joints and tie rod ends were done . Along w with a lot of hoses .
i need the starter grinding problem fixed before i paint . . it had a clutch assembly put in place of damper . the ring gear and starter is mismatched . the 1st mech. didnt notice the difference ,and returned the old starte(to get core deposit back). when finished , he told me flywheel ,or ring gear no good. And didnt want the job . he does not know nor like to work on vw/audi/Porsche cars,, 2nd mechanic was a pre-madonna con-artist.and 3rf was a better one who actually attempted to going into o it deeper . but also failed . He changed 9 tooth bencix gear to 10 . 1 out of ten starts it would not grind . Maybe a eleven toothed bedix gear might work he said lamborginis have them . is that true???
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
R&D guy

$500. Will this be any good?

Simple answer: Ummm....no.

You will be disappointed, unless you have very low standards, and don't mind needing to have it re-done in 2 - 3 years.

Imho, this kind of paint job is for people getting heaps ready to sell, or for cars destined to be low-buck ricers.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Im going to wait / Shocks first . and ill wetsand and prime my self .Then ill look for a final coat. Im a painter by trade.If i had the facility i would do it myself. Although i never painter a car ,but i know how to spray with a high pressure setup.
i have plenty other issues to address first . Lol thanks . i will not go to macco.when im ready. to paint Maybe Earl shy instead, LOl Just kidding
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Good idea. take your time. There is a lot of prep you can do to save yourself some money. Remove the trim, door handles, grills, mirrors, door tops, head lights, door and hood weather stripping, etc. And of course a great paint job should have the front and rear windows removed and quarter windows if it is a coupe. These are all things you can do to cut down on labor time.

If you really want to paint the car yourself you can find away. I once rented a storage unit with electricity at a Self storage facility to paint a boat. How about a neighbors garage?

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
the people from Brooklyn aren't to neighborly anymore . also we don't have garages.lol
bad bad news. once again the starter haunts me. it will not start and starter continues to spin without spinning engine.i had to disconnect battery.\

its the damper /clutch assembly modification . thats not messing up with the starter properly. Maybe Lindsay racing will have a solution . . i hope i dont get a ticket.:-(
Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Gary H 1978 911 SC

Last time I painted a car i had over $500 in materials.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

My bro in law had his Eclipse GSX painted at Maaco. They painting right over the muffler and A/C condensor/radiator. Probably didn't cover it at all. My bro in law didn't care because he just wanted to sell it.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

one of my 1st painting jobs was at a macco ! i was a summer job when i was in college . i only stayed there 3 weeks . the prepers would over and under tape things all the time . i was told i had to paint at the least 10 cars a day . do the math ! ten cars in a 8 hour day not much time to give the car a good paint job . you did not have time to let the coats of paint flash off before you had to spray on the next coat . the prepers get a half an hour to prep cars . no more . thats to sand and tape . most of the cars only get to top panels sanded ( maybe ?). the so called uv protection is just enamel hardener .

Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: