Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 5 - Miscellaneous > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
tseybold

Debre in paint

Hey guys,
Well I have started my first and probably last paint job. I am telling you it's been alot of hours, stripping , sanding, filling, sanding, sanding and now I finally sprayed my trunk. hood and doors, engine cover on my 814.
The actual finish looks pretty good but not up to my or your standards.
No matter how clean I think I have everything, tack cloth and re-tack cloth strain and restrain the paint . I keep getting small particles in the finish??
Photos attached
Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
tseybold

Debre in paint

Sorry did not upload painted finish
Any suggestions would be great
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

paint

what paint did you use? Single stage or two stage? Two stage you can sand the clear and buff and polish removing most of those imperfections. If single stage if dry you might also carefully sand and buff, of course depending on what type of paint you used and how thick it is, and remember to wait until it is dry. Jim
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just so you know the rest of the car gets easier. It is always difficult to spray on the flat surface and not get those small particles. You might want to sand the doors, rehang and shoot them when you paint the rest of the car, so the only difficult items are the hood and trunk. Jim
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
tseybold

Thanks

Yes it is a single stage paint and yes I did apply heavy. I started to wet sand with 1,200 grit to see what it would result. I think that is the way to go, Now I need to get some compound to bring the shine back.
Thanks for the information and I will keep on trucking can't stop now.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

They do make finer sand paper. I just sanded some black wheels I painted with 2500 grit it removed just a little orange peel and buffed up quickly. More sanding, removes smaller amount of paint. Use a little dish washing soap in the water to lubricate while sanding, just in case you do not know that. Jim
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

tseybold

Thanks

Yes I have been reading up on similar posts and I guess I am not to far off.
I will have to regroup and color sand, buff / polish.
I thought my hours of work were behind me. Boy was I wrong. But I am glad to hear that this is not uncommon for a DIY in the garage. I will post some photos when I finish the car
Thanks a;;;llll
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
tseybold

Debris in Paint

Must apologize for my incorrect spelling .
Old 05-07-2011, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: