Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rocker Panel re-paint

I'm thinking about taking my rocker panels off and respraying them due to the road rash. But I want to maintain the texture of them. How is this possible? I planned on using a scouring pad and spray with an enamel and call it good. Will this plan work or how should I go about it?

TIA!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So, your saying that you just want to fix the stone chips, right? I don't know what's available in your area, but my local body supply shop will color match and pre mix paint then put into a rattle can. (spray bomb)
The texture is just rubberized undercoating that you can buy anywhere. Your biggest issue will be color match, I believe. You might want to consider a "soft" sandblasting to the rockers to make them uniform.
2012 Ford F150 Lariat
Old 05-26-2011, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I guess I'm a little confused or I didn't explain it very good. I'll try to get pics up tonight so you can see what I'm talking about. But basically it's the very bottom panel under the doors and below the side rubber seal that covers the oil/AC lines.

Where it flares out towards the rear it's starting to turn grey from the front wheels throwing stuff on it (road rash). I just want to repaint it. The problem, for me, comes in because the surface of the panel isn't flat (smooth) like the door, hood, roof, etc. It has a texture to it. When it's all said and done I would like texture to still be there.

I can get a rattle can like you mentioned that's easy enough and it's a black car so color match shouldn't be an issue. But like I said I would like to leave it textured and scuff and re-coat or do I sand smooth, prime, and use a different type of paint to get back that texture?

I don't plan on doing anything with the undercoating.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about so hopefully it helps... The red arrow shows the road rash and you can see the texture on the surface as well.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There's a couple products you could use. 3m Body Shutz or Rocker Shutz, Upol Gravitex Plus chip guard. You need the body shutz type spray gun for it tho.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'll have to look into those products and a gun. See where that takes me cost wise. If it's to much I might as well take them off and drop off/pick up. I did run some bug and tar remover over it, polishing compound, and a good coat of wax and it made it quite a bit darker. So maybe I can live with it like that for another year or two until I get the equipment together.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: