Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I am sure this was asked before....repaint costs?

Hello

Sorry to repeat, I searched but found no good answers.

Here is my questions.

I have a chance to buy a 1972 911T Targa. It's now silver met (very crappy job), it was "leaf green". I want to paint it back to leaf green. They painted the trunk and engine bay black. Assume no rust what would it cost for me to do a good paint job back to original color?

Thx

Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
I found a few posts but they were ball park estimates. The ones I found did not provide the degree of work involved.

I think the correct answer is "It depends"

Here is my wild a*s guess

DIY - scuff, mask and paint with 50 hours labor - $1,500 (less with cheaper paints)

DIY - strip to bare metal, new rubber, proper base coat, primer and color with 200+ hours labor - $2500 Concours condition? - if you have the skill - just add 250 more hours.

Outsourced - Good scuff mask and paint - $3.,000

Outsourced - Good scuff, remove the lights, door jamb paint, mask and paint with TLC - $5.,000

Outsourced - Good overhaul with full strip = $7500

Outsourced - Full blown restoration to "concours" - $20,000+

The $$ numbers can be debated all day but there is an order of magnitude that needs to be decided by you. There is also a speed bump in any of these outsourced numbers. There is not the margin in restorations compared to insurance work. You have to fight that fact when obtaining quotes. Just get on the phone and do your leg work.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 06-28-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re-paint.............

I just had my SC painted. I did all of the disassemby/reassembly work, removing the interior, lights, bumpers, front fenders, etc. The tub was stripped to bare metal, some minor body work done and repainted the original color (black metallic). Total cost including body molding, seals, etc. was about $5,500 for the paint, old paint removal and repaint labor and body bits and pieces. Total cost including new seats, carpet kit and RS door panels was about $7k. Keep in mind, this is not a "restoration" quality paint job, just a very good, looks almost new type paint job. The shop that did the work is a paint/body shop that is owned by the local Ford/Lincoln dealer. It took me about 2 wks to disassemble the car, the body shop about 2 months to paint and me 1 month to reassemble. Some pics........

Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The shape of the car is very awkward but the quality of the car is very high.. I am not sure about the brand of this car.. I think it is very old brand as compared to the new current brand.
Long Beach boot camp

Last edited by lionlal; 07-09-2011 at 02:54 AM..
Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks

Very good replies, thanks.

Fred, great car and nice work.

Yes, I was going to budget $10,000, but I realize that I should just keep looking for a car that is original color, then a repaint could be less work and cost.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: