Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Weekend Mechanic

What is the best way to protect new paint

My car has just been repainted with Glasurit, silver base and three coats of clear. After a very thorough cut and polish it is shiny like glass. What should I do next? Clay bar to remove any remaining polishing residue and minor surface imperfections? I have a mothers clay bar kit, will that do the trick? Is the next step to give it a good waxing? I'm thinking of doing the clean and wax before reassembly so that the paint is protected even under the seals. Is that a good idea? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

why would you want to clay a car with a new finish ???? thats not what a clay bar is for ! if its shiny like glass ? but you still have minor imperfections ? so would you not want to sand and buff the imperfections out ? if your happy with the finish and your just need to clean it to do your assembly then just use a quick spray detail on it . waxing a finish before you put the car to gether is point less .
Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Weekend Mechanic

Thanks for the info. I'll save the waxing for after assembly then. So the question now is what kind of wax would be best to protect the paint after I have it all back together?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

after the paint cures you can use a good carnauba wax . you can tell when the paint is cured by pushing your finger nail into it . if it leaves a finger nail mark then the finish is not cured yet . don't use a carnauba wax on a cars finish that has NOT cured yet . you can use a spray type detail wax . the reason is its hard for the vapors to breathe thru a carnauba type wax . this at times MAY leave a haze on the finish that only machine glaze will remove . a repaint goes thru 3 steps the 1st is flash . thats when you can touch the finish but its tacky . 2nd would be dry . thats when you can touch the finish and it no longer feals tacky but its still soft were it will leave a mark or dig if you are to ruff with the finish . then 3rd there is cure this is the time you should do your color sanding and buffing along with starting to put the car back together . if your car was not baked in a spray booth then you should wate a week or so to start working on the car . if you try to color sand and buff a car that is still only dry the finish may after a day or two lose some of its shine from when you 1st buffed it . also some times parts like body milding and bolt on things like that will put a mark in the finish . you may not see the mark at 1st but after some time ( maybe a day or 2 ) you will start to see it as the part keeps sitting in the panel . CLAY BARING after some time ( a year or so) you will run your hand over the finish . if it no longer feals smooth like glass then you can claybar , hand glaze and wax the finish .

Last edited by 962porsche; 07-06-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Weekend Mechanic

Thank you! That is great information.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: