Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
single stage paint

Any recommendations on an online supplier for single stage paint that is good quality, but reasonably priced? Thanks.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

why would you want to order coatings online ? then what type of single stage paint are you looking for . Alkyd enamel , acrylic enamel , urethane enamel , or urethane ? in a solid color or metallic color ?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have an 84 euro wide body cab that has some chips on the front and side valance. I don't want to do a full repaint right now, so I figure a little rattle can touch up for a driver. I have no idea what was used. I was looking at getting it in a spray can and doing a touch up for ease. Is this not a good idea? I went to a local paint shop and they could not get a good match and pretty much only deal with bc/cc and the new water based paints.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

why would yuo think a spray can would match better ? whether its a solvent or water base color makes no deferents . in my shop i have 3 paint systems one is 90 line water , 55 line solvent base and the 22 line single stage . maybe you should find a better shop ? if they can't match colors then the shop needs a painter not a sprayer . a painter can match colors were a sprayer can not . if you want to do the job your self . then find a glasurit jobber ( paint store ) they will have what is called color max chips to match the color . once they match the color have some mixed and get the hardener and reducer for it too . then see if they have a preval paint sprayer in stock . the preval cost about 15 dollars is like using a spray can only much better . the cost is cheaper and you can clean the paint cup to reuse it . if you just use a spray can you can't add the needed hardener to make the finish durable so it will just chip again . if you google glasurit paint stores for your area you can find a jobber to buy the products you need . you can get some thing like limco 2 (acrylic enamel ) for cheap the total cost of every thing you will need should be about 40 to 50 dollars . for that 40 to 50 dollars you will get 3 to 4 times the life out of the paint work your looking to do over just using a spray can .
Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I found some single stage paint that could be matched. I brought in the gas filler cover. It took a while, but the match is very good. I was referred to English Color in Dallas. Fortunately I was in Dallas at the time on business. They did a great job matching. They tested the match with a preval sprayer. So when I can get some time I'm going to shoot the bumpers, valances, and rear deck. I'll post some pics after I get it done.

It is unfortunate, there aren't any places in town (Austin) that wanted to take the time to work with me.

If there are any others in the Dallas area that need a paint match, the English Color store that I used is the one down on West 8th Street. The guy that does the matching is "Roberto". I was very happy with the no nonsense service. My other experiences were less than willing to try. "Roberto" simply looked at it and said "ya we can do that". I highly recommend

Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: