Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
FG Repair Ducktail

I am restoring a 74 carrera and have a need to repair the ducktail. It has had a tough life and suffered some distortion from the tortional strain brought about by the gas strut when closing the lid. As the aluminium frame was damaged (splits mainly) I am trying to graft the FG part onto a steel frame ( a standard engine lid with the metal skin removed).
I am seeking some advice as to what material I should use to attach the FG ducktail to the steel frame. I am considering 2 products:
1 A polyurethane (Sikaflex 252) which should bond the FG to the steel, and
2 A polyester paste (cement) called Fibral
Can anybody comment od the pro's and con's of each product

Thanks

Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i have had many repairs with 911 that have only one engine lid pneumatic lift . when people add tails to the car they find that the stock lift is not strong enough to handle the extra weight . so they just change out the pneumatic lift for a stronger one . this will now hold the lid open but over time it puts a twist in the lid . the way it should be done is to add an other lift to the hing that dones not have a lift on it . the PITA about that is there is no bracket on the fire wall for it . so then you have to fab up a bracket and weld it to the fire wall . you have to the carpet away from the inside of the car so when you weld you don't burn the carpet . if there is a motor in the car it adds to the PITA factor . if you want to graft a fiberglass skin to the metal frame i would use SEM multi purpose panel adhesive part # 39747 you will also need SEM's dual mix applicator gun . the SEM is a 2 part epoxy adhesive with a 90 minute work time with 4 hours to set and 24 hours to cure .
Old 07-17-2011, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
#trudeaumustgo

I believe an aluminum frame ducktail from the factory is very valuable. Please check it out before you graft it onto a steel lid. It's worth restoring.

Photos of REAL Carrera Duck Tail

Last edited by dad911; 07-19-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered speed offender

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad911 View Post
I believe an aluminum frame ducktail from the factory is very valuable. Please check it out before you graft it onto a steel lid. It's worth restoring.

Photos of REAL Carrera Duck Tail
+1

You could probably buy 2 FG on steel frame tails for what you could sell yours for... un-restored!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

from what i'm seeing is he wants to graft fiberglass skin to a stock steel frame with out the skin on it . so the all aluminum lid would stay as is and not be used .
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
It seems like I always ask the question too late. Thanks for the feedback 962porsche. I checked out the product you suggested. Its not readily available here in Melbourne and looked like costing around $200 (gun and all). It led me to look at other single and 2 pack products.
In the end I have used a FG reinforced putty to bond the parts together, and will lap all edges with light mat FG as I need to build out to reduce the gaps to the body.

I was aware of the value of the aluminium frame item, I will post pic of it, I think it was probably beyond retoration
Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

the problem with aluminum is it has no memory . so it tends to crack very ez . if it gets stretched out of shape with cracks too then you realy have to know how to repair aluminum . even most body shops don't repair soft metals . you may be surprised on just how bad a aluminum part is that can be repaired . you may have to find a resto shop to do it thow . some one who know how to work aluminum is the key . with a shop like mine i will only hire peoplr that can work aluminum because or the amount of cars that are all aluminum or have aluminum panels . the down side is cost its not cheap to repair aluminum ! we have a clean room that is only for working aluminum . you should not even use the same hammer and dolly that you use for metal . there are many CO.s that offer panel bonding adhesives . 3M , fusor and others all offer ok products for that . if you don't want to buy a gun then ask your jobber if you can rent one most jobbers will rent a gun for the products they sell . i would use a 2 part product . you will get a better bond if you do .

Old 07-20-2011, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: