Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

big gaps

it seems as though some one put a new cill on my 71 targa but the bottom gap is quite big how can i decrease this many thanks brian

Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if the door hight to the QTR is good then the only way is to cut the one thats on the car out and move it to were it should be . most of the time when the bottom door gap was made to big its because the person that was doing the job did not know that the door gap that runs down the door to QTR seal is a tappering gap . the gap is a little bigger on the top and gets tighter at the bottom right before the door rolls to the sill . if you can cut out the sill on the car clean you may be ablr to reuse it . but you should plan on a new one .
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered speed offender

Garage
Another way is to weld a bead along the bottom edge of the door. It's least amount of headache IMO.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if the car still had the same OE panels on it from when it was built and the panel gaps were bad because you were changing over the door . then i would say yes that would be a proper way to fix the gaps . by running a bead of weld or adding some round stock to build out the door edge . but if you know the new welded on panel is welded on in the wrong place . then doing 2 wrongs really is not the right way to fix it . will it work yes . is it cheaper to do it that way yes ( maybe ?) but if its a work in proses car . that you have not got into its finale primer yet . then cut the panel back off and make what you know is wrong right . like i was saying before . most of the time when the rocker to door gap is to big . the gap to the QTR is no good too . because of the way the QTR and stricker panels are put together . when some one tries to achieve the same gap from the top of the door to the bottom it pushes the rocker (sill ) down . the door to QTR gap should be a tapered gap ( about 6MM at the top of the door to about 4MM at the bottom of the door ). when some one tells me there car had body work done to it . one of the 1st things i look at is the fitment of the panels . it tells you right off how good of a job was done on the car .

Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: