Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wine User

Garage
Cool Just painted my targa......

I just had my targa repainted. I removed the parts (bumpers front and back and interior window glass etc.) and am now contemplating purring it back together.

Any suggestions/tips?

TIA

Warner
Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Take your time and have an extra pair of hands.
Good luck.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Warner,

I'm about to start taking my 89 Targa apart for painting. Any words of wisdom you can offer?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Warner, lots of blue painters tape (low tack) on every edge and flange to protect the vulnerable painted edges when you're putting it back together.

+1 for additional hands - especially the hood and doors.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wine User

Garage
A sharpie and lots of plastic baggies. Take pictures too, so you can remember. A pro removed and installed front and rear glass. A full 4x8 sheet of plywood on saw horses to lay out the parts for the reinstall. Paint (in my case black) for painted parts that were not part of the car color. 3m weather strip adhesive #08008. I power washed the car after the parts were off the car. +1 on the tape. Ibuprofen. New rubber where needed. A Bentley manual mostly for the wiring diagrams and removal instructions. The mirrors wiring was a bit$h, I had to push the connectors out of there plug (take pictures for proper installation of the wires).

I would have used more baggies with specific detailed location on them.

It was fun but I probably would not do it again if I had the money. The shop reinstalled the deck lid, hood and doors. I did not have the jams etc. painted.

Luck
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
@eval: Warner's right, if you've got the belly for it, it's more fun than you'd imagine. I can't think of a way to become more intimate with your car than to undress it, pretty it up, and reassemble it for the world to see. Here's some shots of what I got into when I repainted my '85 cab at a friend's bodyshop. I went through a Costco-sized box of ziplock baggies to stash the miscellaneous stuff, and my recommendation is to label them with the sharpie using the most accurate "official" part description you can. There's nothing worse than not recognizing what's in a baggie that's labeled as "thingy from under bumper".

Considering what I paid my friend for the materials and his labor to shoot the car, and what the extimate for a "drop it off and pick it up done" job from a reputable shop nearby, I'd place my savings to easily be in the $7K range.

Disassembly:

Prep work:

After paint:

Reassembly:

Done deal:
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

looks good man
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mawa911sc-targa

Garage
nice job!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: