Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tired Member

Garage
Question Color changed from can to car

When I opened the can of Glasruit 22, Talbot Yellow, the color looked perfect. However, when I painted the front of the tub, it is considerably brighter (less orange) then the original factory painted parts I can compare it to.

Did I do something wrong?
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 09-10-2011, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there is no orange in color #106 . the only color what would give an orange look to the color would be the yellow ochre tint . other than that there is black , yellow , white , . because the finish on the car is from 1976 to 1980 there is a good chance that the OE painted parts have changed there color over the last 20 plus years . if the color was mixed right at the paint store (jobber) and knowing that glasurit is the paint that porsche uses and using the same mixing formula that the jobbers have then there is a good chance that what you painted is what the color really was what it looked like when the car was 1st painted at porsche . so if you need to match the rest of the car you will have to tint the color to match the cars finish or use BASF's color max system and find a color that will match what you have . if your refinishing the hole car then use the color that they mixed . its a good bet its the color the car should be . one other thing you can never tell what a color really looks like untill you spray it AND its dry . some colors do change there shade as they dry .

Last edited by 962porsche; 09-10-2011 at 07:32 AM..
Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
I was hoping to hear from you. Thanks! So it is likely that the original paint on the hood hinge I am looking at has darkened in the past 30 years. Cool. I am repainting the whole car so matching isn't an issue.

In bright sun light it is hard to tell the difference but under the fluorescent light in the garage, they seem very different. Could be different reflective properties of the old formula vs new.

I am okay with the color as it came out, just curious...

Thanks again.
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

glenn when ever you check colors it should always be done out side in the sun and in the shade . inside lighting will throw the color off because of the color from the light waves that a light bulbs are putting off . that is why most spray booths use light bulbs that give off the same light spectrum as natural light does . there are also hand held lights that are a must for tinting colors on over cast days . you want to also check the color on its face thats looking straight on at the panel and the flip that's looking at the panel from the side view . always hold the spray out of the color at the same angle as the panel is .
Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You timing of your thread coincides with my own situation. I recently painted by front boot in Zinc Metallic - the factory color. I didn't get it matched but instead chose to get the factory blend supplied by the local Glasurit distributor. I figured, like you, that I was painting the whole car so it would be best to stick with a formula than try and match something that may not be 100% in the first place as it wouldn't be the cars 1st repaint.

The color looks quite different in some light but very similar in others. I even took one of the removable fender extensions and put it against the boot section. You can see the difference at varying angles, new one is more silver.

I would press on without too much concern. The new paint looks great - I'm looking forward to the next installment of your progress of your car Glenn.

Darren
Old 09-10-2011, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Darr what is the color code ?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It's 956 (zinnmetallic).

Cheers,
Darren
Old 09-10-2011, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: