Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rear Wheel Arch Filler question.

I am cleaning up under my rear fenders to prep and rework some undercoating and touch up some rusty spots.

There is some sort of tar-like filler at the very upper part (above where the oil tank sits where the quarter panels attach to the body). this filler was covered with undercoating.

I removed all of this when I was wire-brushing, and I pulled it all out since it was very tar-like and I'm not sure my primer would stick to it. Now I can see all up into the body near the rear quarter-window.

Does anybody know what the best replacement is for this stuff? Or, does it need replaced? What happens if I just primer it and touch it up with Wurth SKS (leaving the gap open)?

Porsche does have a part number that is some sort of piece of plastic that they shove up in there, but I'm wondering if any of this is necessary. Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
After reading your post I took a look at mine. It is a 1973.5 and it seems like it just has undercoating over the frame for the quarter windows. I have some work to do in there.
Hopefully someone will reply with the answer so I can do it right also.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican Parts - Product Information: OEM-90154392125
Terostat strip
Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here is my left and right sides after cleaning things up.

I'm thinking of using some sort of caulking.

My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have tested a product that I am thinking of using.

LePage / LePageŽ Sealants / LePageŽ PLŽ Polyurethane Concrete Crack & Masonry

Its made for cracks in cement, but when I used it for that I was impressed how it is like a caulking that has as small amount of expansion think like silicone caulking that expands like spray foam. It finishes in a grey rubbery texture that is paintable.

I am thinking of trying it and them once cured, cover it with a seam sealer.

Haven't decided yet but will do more testing.
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have some tetrostat ribbon, but it isn't really wide enough and I am worried that it is too pliable. Makes sense that that is what was there before since it was very similar and a pain to remove. How would I fit tetrostat in there? Just shape it to fit?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: