Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered speed offender

Garage
If you use EP on bare metal, you can do your body fillers over the top of it. Seal again w/EP
And go to 2K primer. Fewer steps I think. EP is great stuff... I used SPI products due to the accolades they get from hotrodders forums.

Last edited by 78SCRSMAN; 01-03-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Self-Etching and Expoy Primers

Just an FYI to anyone planning this type of D-I-Y project. I have been doing award winning custom paint work and automobile restorations for over 30 years. You MUST be very carefull when selecting to use self-etching primers and what you apply over them. You can create yourself a huge nitghtmare by applying epoxy primers over top of self-etching primers because the phosphorus can create an adhesion problem between the two primers and peel off in sheets.

Our projects all get stripped or media blasted to bare metal. Then all welding and bodywork completed. The metal is then cleaned to remove any flash corrosion and then we apply four coats of epoxy primer. The surface is then block sanded to get the areas straight and then primed primed two more coats. Now it's ready for sealer and paint. We have NEVER had any cracking, peeling, shrinkage, or adhesion issues.

JKA Custom Paint
570-854-3239
Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: