Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Proper Glasurit Mixing ratios please

Please only answer this if you are a professional painter. No Guessing I am looking for actual technical refference. The BASF site has been useless.

any other tips great as well " I Sprayed PPG for years
I do have a 1500 watt infratech and was told not to turn it on for at least 15 mins after final clear coat.

Painting a convertible hardtop only

White 2K Primer

Guards Red 55 Base
RM-UR50 Mid Temp Reducer

Temperature should be around 65 -75 this weekend
clean standard garage facility

923-550 HP Clear
929-94 Slow Hardener
RM-UR50 Mid Temp Reducer
Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
PM "962 Porsche"

He's a Glasurit shop owner and has helped a few of us immensely with paint tech stuff. He emailed me some tech sheets recently.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. The basf web site is the worst
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'llsecond Fishcops advice. 962 is the man. Knows his BASf products. Good luck
Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I thought the answer would be easy as Glasurit 55 suggests 2:1 for base - but this refers to their own reducer (352).

I'd be interested to see if the UR50 ratio is any different.

Did you see this tech sheet?

http://techinfo.glasurit.com/techinfo/en_UK/TechnicalInformationSheets/PKW/PDF/ratio-classic.pdf
Old 10-13-2011, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

because i was a BASF glasurit service tech i have all the info you could ever need . if you need some thing PM me with your email and i can send you out a TDS (tech sheet) on the product .
Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

you can get all the tech info on the BASF site so i don't know why you say its useless . if your using a infratech lamp it should have a flash mode on it . keep the lamp about 18 inches away for the panel . you can check the panel temp with a infared thermometer gun . the best way to check the temp would be the thermometer that you set right on the panel of the car because you really need to know the metal temp . but the average shop does not even have one of that type . your want the metal temp about 140 to 160 dergress F. for 20 minutes . if your not going to seal the panel you would want to sand it with a 600 or 800 grit wet paper . after you sand if your not using a sealer then you will only have a about 8 hours to get it top coated . as you should know sand scratches start to close up again after about 6 to 8 hours after you sand so if you don't want it to delam down the road top coat it with in the 6 to 8 hour window . you can wait up to 24 hours before top coating but i do not recommend it ! the 55 LINE base color has a mixxing ratio of 2 parts base color to 1 part reducer . little know to most people is that the glasurit reducer and the RM reducer is the same . if you want to save a little money buy the RM reducer . color code 027 that your spraing should take about 3 med wet coats to cover . most of the time i use a 1.4 tip in my gun with the air set at 36 LBS at the gun with a 2/3 over lap in the patern . let the base flash so you can tack it between coats . if you can't tack it then its not ready for the next color coat . the same applys right before you start spraying the clear if you can't tack the base color its not ready to be cleared yet . when it comes to the clear coat you did not state what clear your going with but most clears are a 2 coat system . after you spray the 1st coat of clear you will know its time for the next coat by giving it the finger test . touch the tape were the clear is nice and wet on it . what you want is to leave a finger print with no clear coming off on your finger . when it does that you will know your ready for the next coat of clear . touch the tape on deferent parts of the panel this way you will get a better feal of just how much the clear has flashed off before your next coat of clear . if your going for 3 coats of clear you will want the clear to flash a little longer from the 2nd to the 3rd coat . you still give it the finger test buy wait untill you have to push your finger hard to leave a finger print . by letting it flash a little longer your letting more slovents escape for the 1st and 2nd coats of clear . trapping any solvents will couse a delam down the road and the clear will chip very ez .
Old 10-14-2011, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

962- when you say tack between coats do you mean as in tack cloth? Wipe it down? it will be that "dry" or "Hard" that you can touch it?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

that is just what i am talking about . when it comes to base colors you have to wait untill its dry before the next coat goes on . the last thing you want to do is trap any solvents under the clear coats . it will never really get hard because there is no hardener in it . with BASF products there is a hardener for the base coats if you want to use it but for the most part its not needed .you don't have to but you should think about using it if your doing a 3 stage color and its a must if your doing a 4 stage .
Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: