Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
air+fuel+spark

Garage
1969 911T Trunk/Engine Bay Color/Paint?

I have a couple question regarding paint matching for the trunk & engine bay for my 1969 911T. What color/finish was original in 1969 911's trunks and engine bays? (for other who might benefit, what years were the same as 1969?)

From what I can tell it appears to be original satin black over seam sealer/body color/primer then steel. (no Shutz IN the trunk compartment that I can see)

I would like to replicate this finish for my build and I am looking at the following 'bomb can' enamel solutions to finish over seam sealer/high build primer/epoxy primer/steel. What spray can solutions have worked for you to give correct looking finish/high durability/low cost?

What I have found/read chatter about....

SEM satin black ($no price found/assume $5/12oz spray can)

Wurth Matt Black ($18/13.5oz spray can)

Stops Rust 12 oz. Protective Enamel Spray Paint-7777830 at The Home Depot ($4.77/12oz spray can)

Rust-Oleum Professional Flat Black ($5.27/15oz spray can)

project 69 in process

Thanks all in advance for you comments.
R Gruppe #653
Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i would not use a spray can type product on what your doing . i would use SEM's rust-shield flat black . if you use there flat black and mix it with there rust shield hardener it will match the gloss of what was there . if you don't have a spray gun you can use the preval spray system there about 15 dollars . if you go that route with the preval you will want to mix the rust shield 8 parts black to 1 part hardener to 1/2 enamel reducer . the good thing about the rust shield is its a DTM one product system . you will not have to put any type of primer down 1st . just spray the sem and thats it you can spray it over the paint and weld primer that is there too . just red pad or 220 sand it 1st .then after 24 to 48 hours of air dry time you can blend the blue color over it . it will not lift the sem when you use the hardener .

Last edited by 962porsche; 10-15-2011 at 07:42 AM..
Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
962porsche, Thanks for the the tips on paint. Now that I am sanding the entire front clip to bare metal I am going with a PPG DPLF epoxy primer to seal the metal and then sandable primer.

Do you or does anyone know of a PPG paint to match the sheen/finish of the trunk black for my 1969? Or is the SEM rust-shield black mixed with the hardener as suggested the way to go?

I guess I was asking about the bomb can route b/c I had initially intended to blend it back into other areas but now I am sanding to bare metal and etching to metal w/ zinc chromate. (Smugglers box will get 'lined' with POR-15 on the bottom then seam seal...then primers.

Thanks guys for your help!
R Gruppe #653
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: