Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
can a bumper bend?

Hello All,

I have a 72 and the previous owner must have hit something ever so slightly in the front. Now the bumper has a bit of a "flat spot" right in the middle about 20 inches wide or so. My guess is that it is pushed in about 1/2". I plan on putting on some "S" bumper trim this winter and wanted to see if I can fix it first. I am not that much of a mechanic but can pull off the bumper and try to fix this.

Can it be pulled out? I am not a body man so if it can, HOW?
Will it harm/crack/peel off the paint?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Joe

ps. which parts supplier has the best repros of bumper S trim? I have seen good and bad.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Joe,

A pic would be helpful to see the extent of the damage. From your description it sounds as though it can be fixed. The repair may or may not damage the paint depending on the extent of the damage and the manner in which it is repaired.

I'm just a DIY guy but this is my .02

Post a pic it will be helpful in determining the damage and best course of action to repair.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
ok will try and get a picture up.
tx
Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
picture

Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Joe,

There is more going on here then just a bent bumper. The gaps between the hood and fenders are out of whack and it looks like the hood is slightly bent (blue arrow) it doesn't match up to the horn grill.

The bumper can most certainly be repaired. I'm not so sure it can be done with out further damage to the paint though. It looks like the paint already has a crack or a slight crease (red arrow) and a chip (green arrow) so it may need to be painted.

From the picture it is possible the bumper mounts may have bent inward a bit.

Can you take more pics from different angles? Straight on, sides, hood open, Gaps at the cowl, the entire hood, etc?

Last edited by drcoastline; 11-17-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i have tried to stay off this post .
can a bumper be straightened ? yes they can but in this case it will cost less to just get an other one thats good . you would need a press to repair a bumper the metal is to thick to hammer and dolly it out .
when a bumper gets hit like that there will be other damage to the car . it could and will most of the time bend the bumper mounts and or also bend the mounting points were they bolt up to the cars body . some times the bumper brackets will look ok until you go to mount every thing back up to the car and find out then that the bumper brackets are bent because the bumper will not fit right .
Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ok guys here are some more pics of the issues I am dealing with. As you can see the car was involved with a minor collision in the front of the car and the repairs were not done correctly. I think the passenger side fender was replaced. I believe the dents on the hood are from some one forcing it closed because the mechanism may have not been properly aligned after the collision. I thought that I could merely pull out the centre of the bumper in some way at a nearby body shop but I am starting to understand that there is way more to it then that.

Thanks very much for your input!

Joe

Old 11-21-2011, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

to get every thing lined up again you will have to step up and have body work done on the car . the front body panel is bent up thats the 1st thing that needs to be repaired . then it would need at the least a used front bumper and mounting brakets . because the front body panel is bent is the striker on the hood bent too ?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know for sure but it looks like the striker plate has been adjusted aft to mate with the striker.

I agree. More than I am capable of. Needs a pro to sort this out.
thanks!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

962 chimed in hes the authority here. Hey look at the bright side, other than being a little tweaked it sure is a good looking car.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Drcoastline!
My car is a driver and not a show car but I love driving it. Brings a smile to my face just by looking at it too!

I appreciate all your advice guys.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: