Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wurth sks stoneguard/underbody seal

I posted this on the tech board but my question may get more response over here.

What is the approximate coverage from a 1000ml container of SKS/Underbody seal? For those that have sprayed either product can I expect to cover one wheel well, two, a gas tank, more?

Also from what I read of the descriptions on the Wurth site and various threads the SKS and underbody seal do esentially the same job. The descriptions are very similar, from what I gather the main difference between the two products is underbody seal is solvent based and SKS is water based? I would prefer the grey solvent based but it doesn't appear to be available any longer. So I am thinking solvent based black for the wheel wells and underbody and water based grey for my gas tank.

I read a few posts where one application of the solvent based product had issues with reaching full cure due to underlying chemicals preventing thorough cure. There was also a post regarding the water based product coming off when the vehicle was driven in the rain ( I assume this was due to driving before full cure). I will be spraying either or both products over SEM rust shield with a hardener added. Any input advice from those that have used either or both would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if some one had a problem with there water based chip guard then they really ****ed up !!!!! that could have been from many reasons .
we were using wurths solvent based product up until about 3 or 4 months ago when we used up every thing we had in stock . we are now using U-POL's gravi tex it comes in gray, black and white . you can mix it to a color gray that is close to what porsche used on there fuel tanks . it's not a 100% match ! it needs a blue cast to it to match 100% . for the customers that want a 100% match we mix it to a light gray and after it cures we then hit the tank with a red pad and spray two coats of right color in BASF's limco single stage urethane over the top of the chip guard . to date we have only done 3 fuel tanks this new way so i don't know about the long term and how it will hold up over the years . we sprayed rust-shield over the bare metal let it cure then red padded it using a red pad cut to fit the 3 inch DA . then clean and tack it spray the u-pol let that cure then we top coated it with the limco .
the look is a 100% match that way and it does look like a new fuel tank from porsche .
Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do you have some coverage estimates? for WURTH and/or U-Pol?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: