Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Bringing new life to this tired 1987 911

I thought I'd share my latest project with you guys. My hope is that you can guide me along the way with the body work and painting. I did some painting in my earlier years, nothing too involved. Just painting the side of a car or a fender was all. I never painted a whole car before but I've always wanted to do it. I'm hoping I can do everything from start to finish....or at least get it to the point where someone can just shoot it if it comes down to it. My plan is to bring the body back with new paint, fiberglass bumpers, early fiberglass carrera tail. After the body is done I have a 3.6L engine waiting to be installed along with 930 turbo brakes. I also plan on updating the interior with a light weight carpet set, rs door panels, track seats, etc.

At this point I started to remove most of the interior, trim, windows. I also have most of the paint stripped from the body. At this stage I'm not sure how to proceed. I've read Freddie's sticky on stripping. He says to take 80 grit to the areas that have paint left on it. He also uses a grinding wheel to hit any rust areas and then finishes up the entire panls with the same wheel leaving the metal uniform and shiny. Because this car is galvanised, is it ok to sand/grind in the same fashion? I'm afraid I'll sand away the galvanised surface. Also, Freddie uses PPG products. He uses a DX 579 Metal Cleaner and follows it with DX 520 metal conditioner. I'd like to use the Glasurit 55 line. The retailer I went to suggested I start with Glasso 360-4 cleaner. He said that will clean and also prevent rust prior to laying down the epoxy primer. Is this right? Should I be using the same products Freddie uses prior to putting on Glasso e-primer? i don't want any chance of rust.
Here are a couple of before and current pictures

Thanks

Rich

1984 911 Track
1985 911 Track/Autocross
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So I talked to a couple of people in the business and they said it was fine to DA the car. I'm using 220 grit on the bare metal. I'm a good part of the way stripping the car. It's just getting into all the nooks that take some time. I've decided to take Freddie's advice and treat the metal with PPG DX 579 Metal Cleaner and follow it with DX 520 metal conditioner. While at the PPG store I thought I'd get a quote on painting supplies. They can only supply PPG Concept single stage paint if I want to stick with Carmine Red (original color). Total quote is under 1K vs $1800 for the Glasurit. Does anyone have experience with PPD Concept? They mentioned that I can mix clear with the paint for the final coat for added UV protection. Curious how this paint compares to the Glasso 55 line

1984 911 Track
1985 911 Track/Autocross
Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

glasurit is a better line of paint then the concept system . concept is about the same as the RM paint line .
the 55 line is a base clear system 22 line is single stage . so because they are totaly deferent one being base clear and the other being single stage you can't compare them at all .
two years ago when we went to add in a water system to our shop we looked around and demoed all the ppg lines i was not a big fan of there paints . some people love it but we have every system from BASF in our shop to cover deferent applications up front it may look like it cost more to use some of the BASF products but when we did a side by side test with gaurds red it only took two coats to cover were with PPG it took 3 to 4 coats . this does other things too . one in the long run your using more products to cover the same area . more products just brings the cost up too because your using more . then there was the amount of time now the panel sits with wet paint on it . this gives more time for dust to get into the job .
that in turn makes you have to now spend more time to wet sand and buff . so does the glasurit really cost more not when i did the two week demo and added up every thing it cost just a little more .
Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for that insight 962! Come to think of it when I got the quote from Glasurit it was for a gallon of base along with the other primers. So it sounds like I might be able to get a away using 2-3 quarts of color which would bring the price down. How many quarts do you think I'll need of base and clear if I were only to paint the exterior and door jambs? I'm not painting trunk or underbody, under hood, or interior.

1984 911 Track
1985 911 Track/Autocross
Old 05-12-2012, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: