Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Restoration plan

I need a little advice from the experts.
I'm planning on restoring my 78 930 and have a few questions.
The car has had 1 repaint of mediocre quality. It appears to be unhit except for one fender, which was replaced, probably the reason for repaint. Should I take the car down to factory primer or go all the way to bare metal? It only has 2 door dings, no other body work needed. Should I go Single Stage or BC/CC? I've gotten conflicting answers from different paint shops and just need some clarity.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Im curious for the answer too.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
#1 Tripple budget estimate.
#2 Don't fully strip the car if it doesn't need it - probably just take back the mediocre top layer, perform body repairs, prime, paint.
#3 SS v BC/CC often comes down to the prefered colour and finish. If it's a pearl or flake finish definitley BC/CC. But if it's a solid white, blue, red often the SS is nicer.

Just my thoughts...
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I forgot to mention, the color is Black.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

1st most people that don't know about body and paint work think for some god only knows reason that a car needs to be stripped . in most cases this is the worse thing to do .
there are reasons to strip a car down to bare metal or even remove the top layers .
if there is more than 12 to 14 mills of paint on a car that would be 2 to 3 repaints .
if the cars finish is checking ,cracking , pealing , .
if there are just way to many chips like on a hood (bonnet) to feather edge out .
then you would want to strip the finish off . and even then you may not have to strip the hole car .

as for B/C or S/S like John stated with any metallic colors , pearls , candys , you would want to have a clear coat over it in most cases . if the car came with a S/S metallic OE finish and you want to keep the OE look to the finish . then you may want to think about a single stage metallic .
if your going to do a solid color like red ,white ,black and a like . there are two options to go . you can do a B/C or S/S . again if the car came with a S/S finish OE then you may want to keep that look . a S/S solid color will have a deaper look to the color if there is not a cleared over . a clear will help with UV rays a little bit but not what people tend to think they do .
Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Are you doing this yourself?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Listen to the experts Tom... I completely stripped my old ungalvanised car for a couple of reasons. It had 3-4 coats over the years on some panels and others had been fully stripped based on the blasing media I found everywhere and not actually fixed properly. There was also full penetration rust in key areas that had to be fully stripped.

What I've learnt is that it is a hell of a job to do on your own at home, it adds expense and additional health risks; and above all else, if I've got it wrong and my work goes south in 3-5 years - I have no one to blame but myself!

If your car is just suffering a neglected outer appearance and there is no rust or structural issue, you definitely don't want to head down the "full strip" path
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm definitely not going to do it myself. I've dove several Corvettes and a 280Z when I was younger, but that was Lacquer in my garage.
The 930 has 0 rust so if I can get away with just taking it down to factory primer, that is what I should do.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Exotic Vehicles are here

Garage
Hey Tom, I am thinking that '78 930 with Zero Rust is sales pitch, that used to sell the car...

Sorry, did not wanted to offend you, but just a bring the point on rust resto, when I bought my '68 it was "rust free", then I've discovered "some" need for repair, then it went into "full rust" repair and it been taken care of, as we speak, and as John, said "you never know what you will find under the paint"...

My .02 c. -Y.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: