Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front Fender fitment woes

Ok Guys. So I have fixed all the rust I had in one of my long hood fenders. Fenders are from a 73 911T and the body is an 86 Carrera. I went to put them back on to check the fitment and they are way off. Ive included some pics. Ive pushed it and pulled. I cant seem to get good gap. Its almost like the upper door curve is different. Any tricks or ideas.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

with out being there to look at many many thing i would need to see to tell you just what to do to get the panel on and with the proper gaps i am only got to be guessing at this but here it goes .
1st pull the panel back off and check to see if the little spot welds porsche puts on were the fender meets the cowl have been removed . they spot weld the fender to the cowl with two little spot weld . this if not removed stops the fender from being able to be moved back to were it should sit . then remove the 3 shims you have between the cowl and the fender there is no reason to have them there they are only pushing the fender forward and pushing it out .
the fender welting is not that thick and chrushes when you tighten down the fender .
the next thing you have to think about is that porsches are a hand built car . they get metal worked when they are made so you will in most cases never get a panel that just bolts right up . if you do it's about a 1 in a 1000 chance they will . that is why they make hammers and dollys , grinders and cut off wheels .
it looks like the front of the fender needs to come up and that will close up the gap at the top of the door to fender ? again i'm not there to see just what is going on .
Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks 962. I wanted to ask before I went that route. Its tight at the bottom of the fender too. I broke the spot weld and the top is fairly smooth. I just didnt want to get to carried away then ask for advice. Ill take some better notes when I work on it next time. It seems its slightly warped from media blasting but I got that straitened. When I pull the fender out from the side and push down above the light bucket the lines get better. But the bolted cowl has a good bit of spring on it.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

962 .... forgot to ask. Do you know what the gap measurements should be? Ive been eyeballing it but a measurement around and doors would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

again because all the cars are hand built they are all deferent . they are eye balled when there built for the most part i have a wood paint stick i use to get the gaps for the bottom of the doors to the rockers and the door to the fender gaps . the back edge of the door to the QTR is not the same from the bottom of the door to the top of the door . on the 911 body's the gap there is smaller at the bottom than it is at the top . and that is the way they should be !
as you lift the front of the fender you will see the frnder to door gap open up on the bottom and close up on the top . when you get that gap to were your happy tighten the bolt on top of the fender that is close to the cowl and the top one on the A-piller and then work your way down on top of the fender . after that tighten the ones that run down the A-piller . if when your tightening the ones on the A-piller the fender to door gap starts to close up again you will then need to move the metal on the fender to stop it from doing that . that is were the hammer and dolly come into play . you can tighten the two under the fender to cowl last they are the hardest ones to do . i found using a ball end allen is the only ez way to get to them .
Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Exotic Vehicles are here

Garage
Hey guys, who sells the fender welting? Thank you in advance. -Y
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

i always just get them from porsche .
i have tried many after market ones and they are crap ! there not that much more from the dealer and they fit the way they should with out any headaches of having to trim them and play around to get them to look right .
Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I have the panel alot closer then the first pics. Breaking the spot welds off at the bottom of the fender panel made a lot more adjustment. Do you re weld those after you fit it or just leave it open?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

most of the time i / we replace the little tack welds . if we / i are just doing a fender replacement then some times we will not because after it gets the two spot welds put back on you have to then prep and paint the area . it's not that i don't mind charging the customer for it but some times with just a fender replacement they will not like to also have to pay for it if it's a out of pocket paid job .
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: