Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
porscheboy1

Garage
Painting alumnium trim.

Hi guys. I am restoring a 1978 911SC. I have disassembled the car down to a rolling chassis removing all glass, upholstery, bumpers, trunk lid, deck lid, sun roof, doors, rocker panels and lights. I have striped all metal parts to bare metal with a chemical stripper and sandpaper. I sprayed everything with self etching primer with rattle cans. All of this stuff will be picked up by a local body shop for professional ding removal and painting. he may sand off my primer, its up to him, as he takes responsibility for the paint job. Its amazing that I did not find any rust to the degree of disassembly that I went to, except a little around the battery area. Anyway I am keeping all the aluminum trim, that goes into the window rubber trim in the windshield, quarter windows and rear windows. Also the window frames. I would like to paint these myself. By disassembly and reassembly of the car myself and painting the aluminum trim I am saving a bunch of money. Anyway how would I go about finishing the trim in a semi gloss black? I have a media blasting cabnet and have soda blasted the trim and all of what was left of tha paint came off. It appears that the stuff had maybe been anodized black as there is what looks like anodizing in several places on the trim? I don't have spray painting equipment and would use rattle cans and hand paint and sanding and rubbing compound if necessary. Thanks for any input you can give me.

poscheboy1
1964 356SC
1968 911SC in Restoration
1982 911SC

Old 08-04-2012, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if you removed all the old finish off the trim then all you have to do is wet sand it with 400 or 500 grit wet sanding paper and get your self some trim black in a spray can . with trim black you do not have to prime it 1st just clean it with a per paint cleaner then tack it off with a tack rag and spray it with trim black . my self i like the sem trim black . be sure ti wear rubber gloves when your handling the parts in bare metal .
Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
The factory trim is anodized black originally. If you want black again, I've seen good results with satin powdercoating. Normal paint struggles to adhere well to the soft aluminum trim.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
^^ I'll defer to 962 - he knows this stuff better than me
Old 08-04-2012, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
porscheboy1

Garage
Thanks for the input. I'll use the trim black method. Is " trim black " a brand name?

Best regards,

John
Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

trim black is not a brand name . trim black is just what the gloss is of the black trim .
trim paints are designed to be a single product application . they are designed so you do not have to use a primer with most substraights your spraying it on . trim paints come in many colors and glosses . some cars makers use grays , metallics and gloss blacks .
the trick to getting it to stick to aluminum is the substraight has to be very CLEAN .
on high dollar restos we send out the trim to be anodized , medium doller restos we have it powder coated and lower cost job we trim black them .
only the anodizing looks as it really should . the coating of the powder coat has a thick look to it . the trim black though maybe a thinner coating just does not have the look of a anodized part . 99% of the people that look at your car will not notice the coating on your trim and know if it's right or wrong . the down side to using a trim paint on things like door handles is that it is well paint . paints of any type will not hold up on things like door handles . on my peterbilt truck we use to hall cars we panted it the same blue as the 962 then used SEM's trim black on all what was chrome . on the door handles after 3 years it started to wear and chip off so we had to redo them . if your not driving the car every day it's no big deal because it will not see the same use as an every day car .
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

porscheboy1

Garage
Thanks 962 for the " trim 101 " short course.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: