Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Tub Dolly

Hi all,
I have the suspension completly removed from my 944S resto project, and need to drop the tub on to some sort of dolly to be able to move on and off lift, outside for pressure washing, etc.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for the help
Regards
Jeff
Old 08-08-2012, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Bolt a couple furniture dolly's together.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the casters will lose it's balls all over your floor .
a low cost way is to order 4 casters from harbor freight the ones that you would need are about 15 dollars each . then get two 4x4's to run along the under side of the car from the right side to the left side then 3 2x4's and run two on the out side along the rockers and then one from the right front to the left rear of the car . lag bolt all of the wood together . your looking at a total cost of about 100 dollars to build a good strong car dolly . i have 4 of them in my shop . i use them to get cars around to the back of the shop so we can sand blast them with out and supension on the cars . do not use it to do your body work on they are just dollys .
Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just fabricated one a few days ago for my 911. I'll post a few pics later this evening. . .
Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here's some pics. I used 3/4" allthread at each post so I could micro-adjust them to ft. Also each post can be extended in 1.5" increments. The torsion tub sits on the legs w/the curved sections and the front legs bolt to the tub just behind the front cross member.

Overkill? You bet! But cool and functional too. . .

Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tub Dolly

I also built one last summer...not quite as rugged as Tom's but effective nonetheless.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

here's mine.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks!!!

Wow, very impressive.
Thanks very much for sharing your ideas.
I guess I better get to work.
Regards
Jeff
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
If you need to flip the car for any reason an octisserie arrangement might be useful...

Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Might be a bit late, but in case you haven't got around to making one yet.....

I made one like the one's shown above where the car rests on the dolly/cradle. That's fine for moving around your garage or workshop but less good if/when you want to take it to get blast cleaned or painted. That's because it means you have to strap the shell itself to the trailer as well as the dolly, and the inevitable rubbing on the journey is difficult to keep from marking the shell/paint job.

Better to build the dolly so you can add bolt-on brackets that attach to the rear torsion bar bracket holes and the front crossmember bracket holes, and so firmly attach the shell to the dolly. If you know you want to do this from the start then you can place the main struts so that these 'bolt-ons' are in line with the struts. Then when you transport the shell you just have to secure the dolly to the trailer.

Mick
Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Re:

It is draaw?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

hi guys want ask question on how to put chassis on to the dolly ? using engine crane ?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Jack the car high front and rear, wheel dolly under and lower it. A good dolly design will see it slip between the front and rear wheel base with wheels/tyres on.

And in case it hasn't been mentioned, be careful if you're dollying a car with the engine in as there is significant weight over the rear half of the dolly making maneuvering tricky and unwieldy. I personally wouldn't dolly a car until most of the interior and engine are removed.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

thanx john .
Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Very cool..

Although not hard to figure, it would be cool if the demsions and bar stock sizes were provided.

Thx
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I built this dolly so I can take the tub to various sub-contractors. A tube slides into the front with a hitch on it. Add a set of HF trailer lights and good to go. It also puts the tub a a nice working height.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Here's one from 4x4's.
Basically a set of saw horses on casters.
Jack up the back, slide one under the car.
Jack up the front, slide the other one under the car.
Simple one man operation.
I have also connected front and back together with a 2x4 when moving around a lot.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered speed offender

Garage
Well neener neener, I have one too

Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: