Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (
-   Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum (
-   -   painting inaccessable voids? (

Packy 08-08-2012 03:00 PM

painting inaccessable voids?
I have a 1979 911 with a rust bubble between the front fender and the unibody. I don't have a pic of the car, but the location is laid out in the picture below where the orange indicates where the rust is. My problem is that I want to be able to get the rust from the backside (inside)) of the unibody as well, but the back side of the rust is completely inclosed and inaccessible. I tried to see if I could get to it from the inside of the trunk but there is another panel between the inside of the trunk and the outside of the unibody. On the picture below there are three green lines to indicate where the individual panels are. There are however 1" holes that I could use to access the inside of the panel.

The question is, how would you guys remove the rust on the inside of this panel? AND, how would you repaint inside of that panel?

Let me know what you think. I may post this in the general tech forum as well to get some more answers.


962porsche 08-08-2012 06:45 PM

is the rust rotted right thru the panel of is it only on the surface ?
if its a rot thru then you have to cut out the area and past the rot out area about a inch and a half at the least past the rot out area . this will or should be sure you get all the rust cut out . if it only surface then i don't think it's on the inner part of the panel . but if you want to coat the inner panels like we do in my shops we coat the inside with rust-shield and a wand type sprayer . if any rust is between two or more panels the over lap you have to split the panels apart and sand blast of cut out and remove the rust . and then weld the panels back as they were . at that point we do the same thing with a wand sprayer and rust-shield between the panels . also we use weld primers between the over laping panel seams before we weld every thing back together .

Packy 08-14-2012 11:21 AM

Can you show me the "wand type sprayer"? This is what I may use. I'll post some pics. I may not take the car apart for a few months so I can drive it for the rest of the summer.

962porsche 08-14-2012 12:56 PM

you can just google cavity wax spray guns . you then can see what type of guns i'm talking about .

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.