Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

911 Door Pocket Repair

My 78 SC has those miserable cardboard door pockets. When taking the car apart for a resto a few yrs ago (!), I saw one was cracked and the orig's are either not available or really exp. I did not want to go the option of the glass panels - too exp, not orig and a fair amt of work to install correctly.

Since I was redoing the carpets on my car, the door pocket carpets had to come off and did so rather easily with a little heat. I could then see the extent of the crack, which was about 3-4 in long.

To repair, I cleaned off the carpet glue residue with lacquer thinner and then sanded the area pretty good with 150 paper. Don't overdo it but get it roughed up. The crack realigned itself with a little pressure - it was helpful to elevate the center of the pocket under the crack about 1/4" to get it to line up and go back together. I then tacked the crack with a few drops of thin cyanoacrylate (CyA) - model airplane glue - to the point where the crack would not reopen.

To reinforce, I used 2oz glass cloth over the area leaving about a good 1/2" on either side of the crack. To secure this, I switched to "gap filling" CyA over the cloth and crack together, pressing it down with a finger in a plastic bag to smooth it out and to work the glue into the porous, roughed up surface. The repair is very strong and thin enough that you won't see it under the carpet. The inside of the pocket will be touched up with some black spray and maybe some more flocking.

CyA can also be used to fix delaminations along the edges of the pocket with a couple of clamps, some waxed paper and thin plywood to keep everything straight......

78 SC, 06 Cayman S, 74 Targa, 1971 BMW R75, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R100S, 2004 BMW R1200GS, 1974 Ducati 750 GT, 1974 Ducati 750 Sport, 1986 Ducati MHR Mille, 1995 Ducati 916, 1994 Bimota DB2, 2005 MV F4 Ago, 2001 Tri 955 RS, 1970 Norton 750, 1975 Hon 400 F, 1971 Hon 750, 1967 Duc 250, 2016 Tri Thruxton
Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: