Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified User

Garage
Fenders & doors painting/mounting sequence?

I am preparing a pair of 930 front fenders for my Carrera, which is about to get a colour change as well.
I started to take them back to bare metal inside and out but soon realised that there wasn't much to be gained by removing all the under-body rubbery protection - what is that stuff called?
Anyhow, I have wire buffed this "stuff" from around all the mounting holes and cleaned up the mounting flanges, but it obviously needs to be sprayed on again to seal and protect the whole area once the fender is remounted.
What I am struggling with is the sequence of reassembly and painting primer, top coat and "stuff". My initial plan was to final paint the fenders off the car, but I am beginning to think that it might be better to mount the fenders after primer and then do the top coats.
I also need to recoat the fender lips with "stuff" before painting, so I have to work that in at some point as well.

What is the best sequence for this?

As for doors, I had also planned to strip and repaint the doors off the car, but I have seen threads where it has been done on the car.
What are the pros and cons for doing the doors on the car or off the car?

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 09-17-2012, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Some one else with far better knowledge than me will sure chime in... but, looking at how my guy is doing the RSR... fenders, hood, sunroof, etc. is painted off the car... then, once done (wet sanding, buffing, whatever other magic they do), assembled back with all new seals/gaskets.

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
At the shop I work for, we do all of the prep and chassis work with fenders off the car. The chassis will get seam sealer (stuff) and paint. At the same time, the fenders, doors, etc get jambed (sides that don't show). The fenders, lids, doors then get hung on the car and the outside paint is applied. This is especially important with metalics and multi stage paint systems.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
jdill

Garage
the best way to refinish the car is in pieces disassembled ,,,check out my website and you will get the idea Leavitt Street Auto Body
Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Assemble all the panels, make sure the gaps are good, then remove and paint. The doors come off by removing the hindge pins, not the bolts. Good luck!!!

2018 Toyota Tundra Limited
2004 CRF250X
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: