Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
911sc decklid

Hello all, I just bought my first Porsche, a 1983 911sc. I love everything about it except the original headlights and the rear spoiler. It looks like the rear spoiler was installed at a dealership in Tx and is an original Porsche factory part which required drilling into the decklid. Should I find a replacement decklid and have it repainted the original guards red, or have the holes in the original decklid filled and that repainted? I would probably have new H4 headlamps installed with repainted headlamp rims to guards red, since all trim on the car is black. SHould I order the H4 headlamps that have black, or chrome rings if I just plan on having them painted? Also, How much can I expect to get$$ for a factory rear whale tail in good condition?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Congratulations and welcome to Pelican!!!

Post photos of your new ride!

If your plan is to color-match the rings/trim of the headlights then do not spend the additional $ for the chrome ones and the paintable trim...go for the black ones and paint to match. In my case I wanted both options... So I got the chrome version and also ordered the rings.

On the spoiler. Since you will have to paint it, why not try a swap with someone that wants it? That way it is less hassel for each other. But to answer your question, yes, a body shop can weld shut the holes, grind, and paint the lid. Me? I would buy a spare lid and keep both... My SC->RS project will have three lid options

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
wachuko,
thanks for the tips! I was leaning toward getting a spare lid, I was just concerned about the potential for poor fitting, using a lid that is not original to the car. Good Idea re: getting the H4s with chrome and spare rings, as I really do want to see what the chrome rings look like before going with guards red. Pics to follow...
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
+1 on the photos. Also add your location to your profile. You'll get more help here than you could imagine.
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 11-26-2012, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: