Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to irl
Underhood paint options help.

Posted in the tech forum but I prob should have asked here. I have a 75 tub, see below and ready to start putting paint on the wells, underhood and engine bay and looking for suggestions on paint systems and types. Bought a case of eastwood underhood black and thinking it probably isnt the way to go. I want to use a satin black, should I really be going to a PPG or similar system for these areas.

Thanks,

71 911T running sweet
63 356 outlaw frustrating purists
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

1st and for most what are you looking to do with the car ?
are you looking to do a racing ?
going for a replica of a famous race car or team ?
just want a nice car to drive and don't care about if it's like it was or maybe should be as stock ?
as for coating that is totaly up to you but i am in no way a fan for PPG coatings .
i only use BASF in my shops it's used by every top auto maker for a reason .
what you want to do is pick a paint system and use the hole paint system from undercoats (primers ) to top coats ( clear or single stage ) .

knowing what you want from your car will help in how to go about refinishing it .
Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to irl
I want a car I can drive on the street but can track a few times a year. I will take your recommendation on BASF. Sorry to sound dumb but I've done a lot but not paint, reading a lot though. I have compressor, a couple guns, mixing setup and masking material and breathing protection but I wasnt expecting to to crank it up until I got to the outside body. How exactly do I go about learning about the system and purchasing product. In doing a quick search online it doesnt look like I can walk in somewhere and buy it.
71 911T running sweet
63 356 outlaw frustrating purists
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you don't sound dumb at all the only dumb thing is not to ask or reserch .
as for basf you can buy them two ways you can go to the BASF web site and find a jobber in your area or i have a jobber in ct. that will ship what you need to you .
ask for TDS paper work on the products you want to use and read them .
so lets start with the fuel tank and what you want to do with that . it is now in bare metal .
the OE tanks are chip guarded is that your plan on that one also . many people that race or build a race look car don't chip guard there tanks .
why weight a lb saved is free HP .

then the under hood what is your plans for that color ?chip guarding the center partof it ?

then the trunk it's self ? what color are you looking to do and what color are you painting the out side of the car ?

you know you have just added more work to the book i have been wrighting about body work and paint on porsches . i never thought about options on doing trunks .
Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Eddie,

962 is the man. He wont steer you wrong. My post on your other thread about not mixing systems is the advice he gave me some time ago. Once again good luck on the project it is looking good.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: