Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question New Paint Job....Now what?

Ok, picked my car up from the paint shop on 4/28, it's now 6/23.

It's a metallic paint with 3 coats of clear.

After the paint job, the painter did a sand and buff on the whole car. We had talked about having me do this step, but he ended up doing it on his own dime. He thought the paint should have gone on smoother.

In the sun the paint looks fantastic, but when you get the car in the garage and if you get the light just right, you can see some portions where he didn't buff it out enough. You can see in the clear coat where the sanding was done, just barely mind you and only if the light hits it just right.

So I'm thinking of just getting the whole car buffed again, the painter even recommended that. Is this something that can be done by hand or is that just a waste of time? Any recommendations on reasonable power buffers?

How long do I have to wait until I can start putting wax on the car?

Last edited by RustyWa; 06-25-2002 at 12:33 PM..
Old 06-23-2002, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would recommend hand polishing it a few times . It should clear up these minor issues you have. If you enjoy detailing your car, you will enjoy the results from polishing. I would look at the mequires products they sell some heavy and light polishes to serve your needs. I think you should be able to wax by now, however I would wait until the polishing is complete as it will only get in the way. Just my .02 . Your car looks great I love the color.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Any specific products?

Like Griot's Hand Polish, Meguires Show Car Glaze...... Something where even I could walk in to a store and grab the correct thing....

Thanks
Old 06-24-2002, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Griots hand polish is supposed to be good. I have the kit on its way. I will let you know. I use the 3M glaze from time to time and I like it. Theres so much out there. Its really trial and error as well as personal preference, I know that doest help but thats how I learned. Try a few different ones, I would start with mequires as they are very user friendly.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I work real close to the Griot's store/warehouse. So I could just zip on over during lunch time and talk with them I guess.

Did you order the Porter-Cable DA polisher? I've heard many amazing things about that tool. (For those who say you can get it cheaper, and their products are..yada, yada, yada....I know. It's still good stuff.)
Old 06-24-2002, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Did you order the Porter-Cable DA polisher? I've heard many amazing things about that tool. (For those who say you can get it cheaper, and their products are..yada, yada, yada....I know. It's still good stuff.)

I don't disagree with that - their products are good, and there's some benefit to having it all in one place, tried and tested, especially if you're new at this. I just think that once you've gotten the hang of things, it's a good idea to shop elsewhere. I spent about 6 hours on my 2 cars yesterday, and went through a lot of various bottles, jars, and sprayers - the more serious you are about detailing, the more it's going to add up.

Emanuel
Old 06-24-2002, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Warren Hall Student

Garage
Does the surface feel smooth with no overspray. If so then just start by compounding. 3M's Perfect-It II Fine cut rubbing compound works great after sanding. It removes all the scratches. Really flattens the paint. You could follow that with a glaze if needed. If you have any overspray then start with 2000 grit wet sand very lightly once over.(no elbow grease)

Bobby
Old 07-07-2002, 01:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Bobby-

Everything is very smooth, no overspray. Should I apply that by hand or machine? (read, I don't have a machine....)
Old 07-07-2002, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Meguiars #7 Glaze would be my choice.

Brian
Old 07-07-2002, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
If you have visible sanding scratches, buffing won't be enough. You will need to sand those out with finer paper, and then buff again. I'd recommend using 3M #2500 paper wet, with a drop or 2 of dish soap in your water bucket to help lube the paper. Then compound with Perfect-It II, then machine polish, then glaze. If you glaze now, all you'll do is hide the scratches, but they'll be back the first time you wash the car.
Various VWs
Old 07-09-2002, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: